Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ponytrafficjam

Shark rig

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Whats the best rig to use for sharks off of AI, I have been doing a 12/0 hook on about 2 feet of malin wire, then a barrel to 7 feet of 150# mono leader with a slider and a 12oz weight, then another barrel.

I am yakking this out with a whole bunker hooked right behind the head once through.

I think I might be using too large of a hook I get allot of pickups on my bait but I can't seem to hook into anything.

I'm doing a similar setup on my cast baits closer in with about a 6/0 circle and bunker heads hooked through the snout, but I have missed a bunch of hookups on those as well.

I think I may be trying to set the hook too soon also. I noticed on the cast baits the fish will run with it for quite awhile until I really tighten up the drag trying to get the hook set and then it just seems like they have enough tension to pull the head off the hook.

With the larger hook out further it seems like they pick it up run about 20 yards and then just drop it before I can do anything.

Help ... I wan't to hook into one , frustrating when you know there out there taking the bait and you just cant seem to hook one!

Well I think the 12/0 hook is too small for a whole bunker. And I know a 6/0 is too small for a head.

Put the 12/0 on the head and you are in business. I assume you are sure your hooks are sharp???????

When you get a run all I do is put my finger on the reel to stop the fish and then just lean back a bit. No snap at all, just kind of lean back slowly. Works for me.

When you hook the baits is there enoguh gap to allow for a hook up? Try hooking through the jaw leaving plenty of gap open.

For the cast baits, it is possible that the hooks are too small. I can't think of a 6/0 circle hook that I would use for fishing heads and chunks from the beach.

Try a search for fishfinder rigs in this forum and you will see the rigs most guys use.

Using a circle hook will really help,pony.It makes a clean release much easier too.This works pretty good with a 120 lb mono hook leader and a 80lb mono rub line.Just a basic drum fishfinder rig with an 11 or 12/0 circle hook .A 6/0 hook is probably too small...Hook the bunker up thru the tip of the bunkers nose and out thru a nostral hole so that most of the hook is exposed.I use the silver mustad el cheapos.Most of the sharks so far have been sandbars...the circle hook gets right into the corner of their mouth just about every time and this seems to kinda keep the mono away from their teeth...I have been getting way more of them onto the sand than the few that have bit me off...

this rig isn't going to work with sandtigers later this summer though...their teeth are not neatly rowed up in their mouth like a sandbar/duskys..they will shred a mono leader right away, 3 or 4ft of wire or light cable tied to your shock leader will get it done...

hey....good sharkin to you! Post a report and a PIC when you get a nice onehighfive.gif

work fine as long as they are sharp. Most like the ones described by previous replies come very sharp out of the package. That said, the el cheapo hooks wear easier (rust, loss of point, weaken, etc.) so they should be replaced more often (maybe every or every other trip). Just keep an eye on them. You can afford to replace them more often because they are "el cheapos."