Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JET

WTB Canoe

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a canoe suitable for two people and some gear, for fishing and camping expeditions in the Catskills, Delaware R., Adirondacks, etc. Local to NYC, Hudson Valley or Catskills. Bonus for related accessories (vests, paddles, seats, rubber/foam thingies for the roof, etc.). I suppose that all other things being equal I'd prefer a nice Old Town style canoe to an aluminum one, but let's see what you got and what you're getting rid of. Thanks!

Hope this is okay to post- there will be an auction of used jonboats and 1 or 2 canoes in my neighborhood at 2:30 PM. Putnam Valley, Put County. PM me for more info, but you'll prob. find a nice aluminum one I just brought over there for dirt cheap. You should also look up Jack Stewart Marine in Croton Falls (it's really his house). I bought a used 16' Old Town Expedition from him in 2006 for $350 or so.

View PostHope this is okay to post- there will be an auction of used jonboats and 1 or 2 canoes in my neighborhood at 2:30 PM. Putnam Valley, Put County. PM me for more info, but you'll prob. find a nice aluminum one I just brought over there for dirt cheap. You should also look up Jack Stewart Marine in Croton Falls (it's really his house). I bought a used 16' Old Town Expedition from him in 2006 for $350 or so.

funny i know exactly who he is and where his house is..small world!

Staktup- thanks for the heads' up. Are you talking about the DEP auction? If not, kindly PM me the details. I looked up Stewart as well, and he does list a couple. I gotta be up thataway for a graduation this weekend anyway, so I might pop in to one or the other or both. Thanks for the post.

I have Mohawk Blazer 16 Fiberglass Canoe for sale. Specs off class5boats.com -Length: 16', Beam at gunwale: 36", Beam at 4" waterline: 33.5", Depth: at bow 18", at center 12.75", at stern 18".approx. weight: 67lbs. Estimated capacity: 700 lbs. It has the DELUXE trim with Cane seats. Good shape. Always stored inside. I have it currently registered in NJ so I could put an electric motor on it. Price is 350.00 USD. If your interested I can take some pictures for you.

Thanks for all the replies. Staktup, I did swing by Mr. Stewart's- nice guy and he had a good selection of recreational canoes at good prices. He also puts together an amazing book of fishing in and around Westchester county- it's like he xeroxed a million different pamplets on everything from lure manufacturers to DEP lake topos to local fishing articles... quite a collection of materials he puts together every year (I think). I recommend people find out how to get one- it's chock full of useful info. I'm pretty familiar with the area and still came across a lot of interesting stuff (Stewart AFB ponds?).

After doing some research on canoes, I think I've settled on a good duralex canoe, suitable for some whitewater. I'm thinking an OT Penobscot 16' or similar. So I'll keep this thread open if anyone has something similar they'd like to get rid of.

I thank you all for your responses. If nothing else you helped me research a lot on what's available. Sincere thanks.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0