Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teedee

more two-handed questions

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I received an LLBean 13', 8 wt, Streamlight rod for Father's Day. My questions are:

Is this a good choice for a beginning two-hander or should I return it for something else?

What line setup would I use for Overhead? Spey? Skagit? since I think they would be very different.

I think you got best length and weight for first TH rod.

And fishing everywhere (Scandi Spey) shooting head is most versatile and cheapest as you do not need spare spools. If I needed another system at the moment it would be Guideline DDC Connect which is either floating or intermediate head with three changeable tips and Varivas Airs 36lbs running line which is hollowed and slick mono so it floats and shoots very well and seems durable enough (few years ago one spool I had went bad too fast)

But if you need to fish really deep then three separate shooting heads (floating or intermediate, sink 3 and sink 7 or something) becomes better. I have used and like Rio AFS heads more than anything.

In my use same head casts overhead and all Spey casts (which covers Skagit style casts too) without overloading rod. I just take OH casting easy and do not even try to cast too far.

I think pure Skagit line system and water anchored casts is good for surf fishing too but it is too heavy for OH casting. But when using only floating body it can be casted OH so it is not a bad choice as Skagit casts are very safe even in strong winds.

3M Supra Skagit Multi Tip is very nice line system too and they start from 6wt which has 450gr/26ft floating head and four about 90gr F,I S3 and S5 tips. Supra design is between Scandi and Skagit as it has a lot of taper so it can be fished both style with good efficiency if its weight is chosen "in between" as well.

"I think pure Skagit line system and I think pure Skagit line system and water anchored casts is good for surf fishing

I myself would never ever suggest to anyone who is learning to use a Double,

"I think pure Skagit line system and water anchored casts is good for surf fishing"

WHY,

because a learner has first to learn and understand how a line loads the rod and the timing required, which is almost impossible in the surf,

YES, of course water loaded casts can be conducted in the surf, however its not a cast for learners, I think.

Teedee, where are you intending to use the new rod, in the surf or sweeter ?

An 8w at 13 feet, a great start, and the brand of rod doesn't matter, as the cast is all about your understanding the timing and loading of the rod,

BUT, please remember that we as humans are all different in feel and thinking /understanding these, therefore what someone suggests may have to be modified to suit your feeling and understanding of loading.

Kindest regards,

UB

View PostI want to use it for salt (striped bass mostly) as well as river fishing (trout and smallmouth bass).

IMO, your 13' 8wt. is totally unsuitable for any eastern river and I have fished a few. A 7-1/2 to 8' 4 or 5wt. will give a much more pleasurable experience.

Again, IMO your rod for salt is bringing a gun to a (small) knife fight. You will be far happier with a rod in the 9-11' range and 9-10wt. What you have is a rod well (best) suited to DH Spey work swinging good sized flies for winter run steelhead.

Teedee,

Congratulations on your first two-hander. If you are like the rest of us, it certainly won't be your last! Fly fishing with a two-handed rod whether in a river or in the surf is incredibly addictive, and you will soon have to find excuses just to knock the dust off of your single hand rods. I fish the surf as well as the large rivers in our region quite often, and I must say the rod you have described will handle all of what you want to do.

What you received is just great for a first two handed rod, and you have many line options available. Since you asked for advice, my suggestion is simple. If you desire to learn the Spey Casts as well as overhead casting in the surf all with one line, it is difficult to beat the RIO Windcutter Versi-tip Spey line. Orvis also sells this exact same line as their Multi-tip Spey Line, which is the one I use. This is a "Short Belly" Spey line which makes traditional Spey Casts (Single, Double, Snap T, Snake Roll, etc.) easy to learn, and when fished as an overhead line it will behave much like a conventional fly line.

Your jaw will drop into your stripping basket when you see how well you can mend over the waves with this set-up on the long rod. Also, the advantages of the multi-tip system cannot be overstated when fishing the surf environment, and I don't think I will ever go back to carrying extra lines/spools. If you decide later to purchase a Skagit line for big river/big tip/big fly scenarios, the multi-tips from the Windcutter line will plug right in. I fish mostly a Skagit line with tips in the Tidal Potomac River, but I like the Windcutter when overhead casting in the surf, or Spey Casting in other large freshwater rivers like the Upper Potomac or Shenandoah. In your neck of the woods, I'd say the Susquehanna is just BEGGING for a two-handed rod!

That said, the shooting head system that Crunch recommends is a good choice too, and I know quite a few two-handed fishermen that swear by this type of set-up.

Whatever you do, have fun with it, and enjoy the learning process. If possible, I strongly suggest that you find a two-handed instructor in your area to spend several hours with. If that is not possible, there are many good videos available, though time on the water will beat them all. If you get down to the D.C. area, P.M. me and I'd be more than happy to spend a few hours casting with you on the mighty Tidal Potomac. Welcome to the craziness of the two-handed world!

Dan Davala

Founder/President - Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Good evening Dan

Mate, simply love your picture, as it dislays the moving action and the power of the beautiful Double doing things the easy way.

I keep wondering why people think the 9 foot rod is the way to fish bluewater after seeing pictures like yours.

Kind regards

UB

Sorry for delayed answer! I use 420 to 520gr heads with my two 8wt speyrods. 520gr is bit too much for comfortable OH casting but if taken slow with long stroke it casts just fine.

I think casting two hand rod OH is easier than single hand rod but there are no easier casts than TH casts what are common is Skagit (sustained anchor= SA) principle although they are just another form of Spey casts. Perry poke is efficient and very easy and safe cast forward when there is not need to turn casting direction much. And when stripping line in it is practical to take good hold of running line from that point where just the head is out of rod tip where next forward cast is launched. Then line can be stripped almost completely in to see if there is fish after fly and if not perform "the dump" where head is let out and then immediately do launch cast normal way.

Circle spey and double spey are very easy and efficient casts too.

Sustained anchor casts are also very safe in spite of wind direction. Of course anchor positioning is challenging when wind hits rod hand but the force this positioning needs is low and line and fly speed is low too and if collisions happen they are not severe.

I love classic Spey casting but there is no need to learn them or overhead casting anymore if someone does not have time to learn them. Skagit is good anywhere. Even with dry fly fishing with light SH rod. It causes slightly more disturbance to the water but it just makes fishing more challenging and advantage to fish which is not bad at all wink.gif

Esa