Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

Surf Fishing Clinics are back

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

(I am assuming this okay to post this here as I have in the past. Thanks SOL)

Once again IBSP will be hosting weekly FREE surf fishing clinics this summer.

Sponsored by the DEP, The Governors Surf Fishing Program and assistance from the NJBBA.

What: a 4-5 hour clinic. Approx 2 hours of indoor instruction followed by a few hours of actual fishing.

Who can attend: Anyone age 8 to 80. (all minors MUST be accompanied by an adult for the entire program, and the adult must participate and assist the minors).

When: Every Friday in July and August. 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Where: Island Beach State Park Interpretive Center

Cost: ZERO DOLLARS, FREE, GRATIS... (you do have to pay to get into the park, seniors are free)

Other:

All equipment is supplied (we have nice stuff)

We primarily baitfish, but will provide info on plugging etc.

Topics include: Selecting gear, reading the beach, fishing techniques, knots & rigs, safety, species ID and anatomy, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't recall right now.

This is the one of most popular summer programs that the park offers.

It is geared toward the novice, but I like it when someone with experience comes along and shares some knowledge. This is a bold statement, but we rarely, as agroup, get skunked!... Sometimes only one fish is caught (thank God for those summertime flatties), but my groups have experienced everything from a mixed bag to an all-out bluefish blitz (that was scarycwm31.gif ), to a keeper striper now and then.

For more info or to register (You must make a reservation) call the Nature Center at (732) 793-1698

There is only a skeleton staff right now, so leave a message.

Ask questions here, or PM me.

Thanks.

Is this going to be offered on the first friday of july, the 2nd. Just wondering considering it is the holiday weekend, thats all. Easier for me to get off from work, thats all. Thanks.

Gimper

Excellent program if you're new to this game. I attended a few years ago when I wa sstarting and it was very helpful. I brought my daughters and they enjoyed it and found it informative as well.

View PostIs this going to be offered on the first friday of july, the 2nd. Just wondering considering it is the holiday weekend, thats all. Easier for me to get off from work, thats all. Thanks.

Gimper

Brian, glad you finally joined. Now as a newbie you need to post a joke.smile.gif

Ok, fair enough. I have been on the site for several months but just decieded to sign up.

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot."

kooky.gif

or

"Mother to daughter advice: Cook a man a fish and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you get rid of him for the whole weekend." smile.gif

or

"A guy rings his boss and says "I can't come to work today"

"The boss asks why and the guy says "it's my eyes."

"What's wrong with your eyes?" asks the boss."

"I just can't see myself coming to work, so I'm going fishing instead..." highfive.gif

Gimper

I think that is a great way to get kids and adults involved in fishing, helping to teach stewardship of the ocean and all that it can provide, great job...

I think that the sedges see enough pressure...The yak tours were great when they were the only ones back there, but things have changed, the sedges have been blown up, last thing they need is more people back there....

View PostIs this going to be offered on the first friday of july, the 2nd. Just wondering considering it is the holiday weekend, thats all. Easier for me to get off from work, thats all. Thanks.

Gimper

Yes... 7/2 is the first clinic. Call the Nature Center to register.

View PostGood news Rob,

Now we just need the sedge yak tours to come back huh?smile.gif

Hey Ship..... They are, you just have to pay a fee so that the state can put a few (and I mean few) dollars into the general fundthumbd.gif

View PostI think that is a great way to get kids and adults involved in fishing, helping to teach stewardship of the ocean and all that it can provide, great job...

I think that the sedges see enough pressure...The yak tours were great when they were the only ones back there, but things have changed, the sedges have been blown up, last thing they need is more people back there....

Truthfully, there is less environmental pressure back there now than before the tours. In the late 90's, the SI's became the first marine conservation zone (MCZ) in NJ. This was primarily due to the work of the excellent superintendent at that time and from a wave of public support sparked by the initial canoe tours. The MCZ restricts commercial harvesting and PWCs (jetskis) from the area. Prior to this shrimpers, clammers, killie trappers, eelers, crabbers and etc were harvesting year round. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of animals were being removed from the bottom of the food chain, not to mention the jestskis flying through those peaceful channels that we all like to paddle. The MCZ regulations mandate that traditional recreational low impact activity such as birding, paddling, clamming crabbing & fishing AND interpretive tours be maintained in the area so that the general public maintains access and "appreciation" for the area. To paraphrase... "With interpretation comes understanding and appreciation, and with appreciation comes protection.

Be careful about wanting to restrict access, it's a double edged sword... I honestly think that if there were a call for more restrictions, then the fisherman would be identified as the most impactful and be the first to go.