Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daverojo77

Fly reel & Line after a day in the salt

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I take really good care of my tackle and I think it's why I still have reels that are over 20 years old.

Fly reel I'm new to and especially fly line what do you guys do after a day in the salt?

Right now I'm running them through fresh water then some mild really mild soapy water then rinse with fresh water again. What do you guys do to the line any sprays or treatments you recommend?

I wash the rods and reels and then strip off the line right down to the backing. I spray the line(piled on grass) and then pull it through a cloth. Reels in there case and the rods also. It can be a pain to do espeically when you fish from 3 AM to 8 and then have to go to work. BUT I make it a priority to keep my gear clean. Funny thing is I keep my boat and fly gear spotless but my truck and everything else is..... Well not quite spotless, lol. As far as dressing goes I use a spray. Not sure what it's called but cabelas carries it. It comes in a aerosal bottle and I spray the line right on the reel. Line shoots so good it practically slips out of my fingers!

Hi Daverojo77,

What your doing is perfect right now! I dress my lines with 3M Scientific Anglers Fly Line Dressing or Airflo Whizz Lube after rinsing them in fresh water or washing them in a mild soap. Flymann pretty much described what all of us do after hitting the salt with a fly; rinse down your rods and reels with freshwater and put them back in their cases after they dry.

Have fun in the fly fishing game amigo!

Dilan

View Postalmost nothing--a good rinse with a hose and a good cleaning once a year

Pretty much the same here. I fish every day, and most nights, and I just hit my reels with a wet rag every couple weeks. I never wash my lines or use any kind of lube/conditioner. It's the weekenders that throw their stuff in the closet for weeks at a time that go through the gear. I have yet to kill a reel, or even send one in for service.

Fly reels cost too dang much to abuse. Fly lines too.

I rinse my tackle each trip and most trips I pop the spool out and spray the innards with a little silicone spray. The silicone spray is also good for the line.

My line gets cleaned often--sometimes a couple of times during a fishing day. I just started doing this recently so I have no handle on how it will increase the longevity of my line but it darn sure makes the line shoot better and further. I wipe the line with a dry cloth then wipe on Armorall.

I wipe rods down with Armorall after they are dry.

When not in use, I store fly lines on 6" "Yo-Yos." (Cuban hand line reels) I hate curly lines. The 6" coils are easy to handle. I keep lines in a 5 gal bucket with tight fitting lid. Mice in my shop have ruined a fly line or two.

I fish 3 to 5 times a week, and do the same as "flyman" after each trip, unless I'm fishing again later that same day. If I don't keep up with the washing and leave the rods hanging in my truck, I find small pockets of corrosion in tight corners such as around handle knobs, reel seat hoods and reel foot, but have rarely seen anything that didn't wash away on the next washing or during one of my two or three times a year servicing, which includes line dressing, new fly line loops (if needed), tooth brush scrubbing, spool shaft and clicker grease, a drop of oil on the handle knob, a light coat of Collinite wax (boaters wax), and also push a small amount of wax under the reel seat hoods. Most of my stuff looks pretty good except for inadvertant scrapes of the surface.

I try and rinse my gear down after each use with just plain water. Sometimes I forget though. I service my reels a couple of times a year. Lately I have started to clean my fly line more regularly since I feel that a clean line can be cast further.

I also use gear that is meant for the salt and reels that have sealed drags. I have had cheaper reels that I forgot to wash just once and they were ruined.

Like several others, I just hose them down with fresh water. Heck, I rarely remove the reels from the rods.

The only exception is that if I submerge the reel. Then I'll pull off the spool to rinse and lube the bearings.

It looks like I do the same as most people here. I give the reels a quick rinse with the hose if I have access to fresh water and let them dry, unless they were submerged or dropped in the sand/mud. then I will celan them in the sink and soak them in warm water for 20 minutes. I don't like the idea of wet, saltwater-infused backing, though it has never caused me problem,yet.

I rarely clean sinking lines, unless they have been dragges through the snad/mud. I will clean and dress floaitng lines if I can see or feel junk on the line or ince they begin to lose their buoyancy a little. As long as you don't leave them in the hot car, in the sunlight, or under fluorescent lights, they last quite a while. If they are left in once of these conditions, adding some plasticizer/line conditioner usually restores them if they haven't been cracked or degraded, yet.