Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

38 inch tiger musky from....

22 posts in this topic

a body of water that doesn't have tigers on the list. This fish was caught in an area of a river that tigers are not prevalent. It was a welcome sight, actually. The fish had a monster head on her and had been eating rather well. She was released unharmed.

Not much for info on where but will tell you how when and why. Posts on where only send masses of people to places that have been closed for a while....if you catch my drift.

Nice catch DaveC! Do you think it might have been a natural occurring tiger? If you don't mind sharing, what bait did you get her on? Very pretty fish... and she looks thick. Congrats!

Caught on a deep running crankbait that has been catching quite a few muskies for me this year. Ripping and stopping is the key. Color has not mattered. Size is on the small end at 6 inches. The bait is not as important as well....the key is where to work it and how. Rip/stop.

Water temps were down from what they were a few weeks ago due to the cold nights. Fish was down in deeper pool, where they have been since the beginning of June.

80 pound test, Daiwa Luna 300, St Croix Avid Musky rod....that's all I can think of.

It was a stocked fish that slipped through the cracks during stocking in my opinion. There is very little natural reproduction in these parts and there are little to no northerns in this area. When the fish were stocked (true strains) I think this fish was mistaken for one.

View PostCaught on a deep running crankbait that has been catching quite a few muskies for me this year. Ripping and stopping is the key. Color has not mattered. Size is on the small end at 6 inches. The bait is not as important as well....the key is where to work it and how. Rip/stop.

Water temps were down from what they were a few weeks ago due to the cold nights. Fish was down in deeper pool, where they have been since the beginning of June.

80 pound test, Daiwa Luna 300, St Croix Avid Musky rod....that's all I can think of.

The Luna is a great reel isn't it? I was pulling double 10's with it yesterday and it felt almost as easy as my 7000 abu. I don't know how the gears will hold up to that but paired with my 7'6" St. Croix it had enough power to handle it.

The Luna will hold up for sure. I have a couple of seasons on it and about 2 dozen fish and it's as good as new. Keep it oiled though and especially the plastic level wind gear. It will cause the reel to squeal on the cast. I am not as happy as you with it for double tens but it seems to pull them better than the TE in my opinion.