Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Optimal roof rack setup for 2004 4runner

13 posts in this topic

Thule and Yakima seem the big name, though Barrell's mentioned Malone a couple of times, and I assume there are others .... but ...

My car's a 2004 4runner Sport. I'd like to hear from other users of post-2003 4runners about their kayak racks, and whether there are any particular eccentricities of racks for 2003-09 4runners that I should know about.

I have a 3rd gen (2002) 4Runner with a factory roof rack. I don't use an aftermarket rack at all; I just put the yak deck down on the crossbars, strap them down and go. It lays very nicely with the deck down/hull up and is pretty aerodynamic biggrin.gif

^^^^^^DING DING DING....one yak, deck down, three straps, tie down the bow to front, two over the yak and you are good to go!

View PostI have a 3rd gen (2002) 4Runner with a factory roof rack. I don't use an aftermarket rack at all; I just put the yak deck down on the crossbars, strap them down and go. It lays very nicely with the deck down/hull up and is pretty aerodynamic biggrin.gif

I got a 2004 4Runner sport and I just use the factory roof rack.

I have a 2006 limited. I use the the factory roof racks with cheapy foam pads, does the trick for me. Unlike others I'm placing the yak deck up. Easier for me to handle for I'm by myself most of the time.

J- bars are not made for heavy, wide, sot yaks.The ones I have state "for sea type kayaks only". When I use my 70lb. tandem sot I lay it on the factory crossbars but first cover them with round foam pipe insulation. The foam adds some friction and give when you ratchet the yak down, and cuts down on scratching.If you oversize the foam slightly, it will spin and let you roll the yak on to the roof.

View PostI use Thule J bars and they attach to the crossbars super easy, and you can easily fit 2 yaks.

I had the J Bar on my 4Runner and on a windy day one of the brackets broke.

I have used Malone J cradle on my wife's 2004 4Runner with no problem using the factory cross bars. We drove all the way to Myrtle Beach last year with this setup. I'm going back down next week and talking my Expedition which is a 98 with yakima racks. The racks on the 4runner are much better than the Expi. Good Luck, Rollcast

To be honest I really should but I just use the straps that go through the J-craddles. I've used them for the last 7 years with no problems and the longest I've driven with them was 16 hours strait. I think if there was going to be a problem it would have happened by now. I alway check the condition of the straps before each trip and recheck them when I stop. Rollcast

I bought the Malone's last week. Got them Friday afternoon and had them installed in 5 minutes.

Loading the yak was pretty easy .

i used the straps that came with them that tie through the cradles.

Drove about 100 miles with no issues.

Happy with my purchase,so far so good.

looking for a new rack, who makes the one that uses rollers in the back? i have the thule glide and set which is nice but the rollers look BA. i think riding with the hull down is more aerodynamic because there is no lift caused by the yak being upside down and its easier to load for me. helped a buddy load his outback in to a j type carrier, what a pain in the, but he needed the room for 2 yaks