Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mybeach

Garage Door Torsion Springs - home-owner repair or call a pro?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Center bearing plate broke clean off and unwound the spring. Spring is intact. Bearing plate is ordered.

Is this a DIY or should a pro be called?

regular garage door spings are easy, my pole barn doors have the torsion springs and they are kind of cwm31.gif scary lookin.

might want to call around and see what a pro would want for the job before deciding.

If you are refering to the type of springs that are on the header above the garage door I would NOT attempt to DIY. There is a ton of kenitic energy in those baby's and I know two different cases of guy's getting hurt atempting to load them up. I would get the part and call a local garage door guy to repaceit and tension the springs. They use a formula based on the weight of the door to determine how many times the spring has to turned for it to work properly. Thats why there is a paint line on the spring. Please don't do it yourself !

Paid a pro, but only this time. Everything he (terry) did was clearly outlined on the internet. I watched him work. I'll definitely tackle it next time.

Yeah, I've done it myself and I'm not all that handy. My BIL used to install them so he talked me through it. Keys:

• Seat the bars all the way before attempting to turn the spring or before locking one bar against the wall to hold tension while you reposition the first bar.

• Keep your head OUT of alignment with the bars so if a one flies your not in the line of fire

• paint a line, load same as other spring--depends on weight
Really not hard.