Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Let's cover all the bases - how bout the Prowler 15 Trident Angler ?

11 posts in this topic

so we've got a guy here asking about the Prowler 11

another thread indicating a guy just bought the Prowler 13 for 400

doesn't anyone like the 15 for its sheer speed in covering ground - fishing ground(s) - supposed to be awfully fast and stable

that's the one I'm looking into so I'd like to hear about that length if anyone has a yak of that size ??

I used a Prowler 13 last season, and am using a Prowler Trident 15 this season. The Trident 15 is faster than the P13, and sits quite a bit higher. It is also much more stable.

In the P13, I could stand and make short casts, but fighting a fish was a no no. In the T15, I can stand, heave away, fight fish, its just a stable stable boat.

If you want pure speed for ocean fishing or making long runs, but want to also fish the flats site casting, this is the boat for you.

I always thought to cover all the bases, you needed a long narrow boat for long trips, and a short fat one for site casting. Not so with the T15, you get it all. I will never own a short fat boat again, when I can have the narrow speed of the T15 plus its insane stability.

View PostI used a Prowler 13 last season, and am using a Prowler Trident 15 this season. The Trident 15 is faster than the P13, and sits quite a bit higher. It is also much more stable.

In the P13, I could stand and make short casts, but fighting a fish was a no no. In the T15, I can stand, heave away, fight fish, its just a stable stable boat.

If you want pure speed for ocean fishing or making long runs, but want to also fish the flats site casting, this is the boat for you.

I always thought to cover all the bases, you needed a long narrow boat for long trips, and a short fat one for site casting. Not so with the T15, you get it all. I will never own a short fat boat again, when I can have the narrow speed of the T15 plus its insane stability.

can I ask where you're using it ?

and I gather you're strong enough to manage it's weight ?

and thanks for your post

I have an older Prowler 15 and I love it. It handles swells/chop no problem, it's fast and very stable. I've been in situations where my mind tells me it's a little too rough out and I should head back, but as I do, the kayak is taking the seas like a champ.

I don't know if I would ever go shorter unless I was looking for a freshwater-only yak.

I own one and fish the Chesapeake Bay Bridge where current flow is a bit strong along the pilings, she handles it great. Powered by an Onno paddle (full tour) it has the power and bite to push this gal around with no problem. Trolling and live lineing are no problem for this fishing platform. Just have to watch out for the fast movers now that Summer is here. Tight lines

I have the Trident 15 and really love it. The only downside for me are the molded heel rests. I wish it had the flat deck like the 13 has. It's not that much of a deal to me, just a minor annoyance. Some people like that feature though.

I use it on the Chesapeake Bay and on the Va inshore seaside and outside, in the ocean. It handles the ocean swell and breakers like nothing, and paddles well through the current.

As for the molded footwells, I like the way OK did them on the T15. They leave much of it flat, so it is very comfortable to stand on, and then further up, molded in only 3-4 wells. IMO, its the best of both worlds. My P13 had the entire leg area molded wells, so there was nowhere flat to stand.

View PostI have the Trident 15 and really love it. The only downside for me are the molded heel rests. I wish it had the flat deck like the 13 has. It's not that much of a deal to me, just a minor annoyance. Some people like that feature though.

ditto what bopsa357 said. The perfect fishing kayak would be a Trident 13 that was 15'7" long. biggrin.gif Google "Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.7" and check out what our buddies down under got. OK came up with some great ideas for them, I wish they would incorporate some of them on a new USA model. It might get me to buy a new kayak.

Hey Ocean Kayak...PSSS... Please make a transducer scupper for the Hummingbird side looking Fishfinder too (798csi). I really want a replaceable skeg too.

View PostI have the Trident 15 and really love it. The only downside for me are the molded heel rests. I wish it had the flat deck like the 13 has. It's not that much of a deal to me, just a minor annoyance. Some people like that feature though.

Took my 15 out on her maiden voyage today - LOVE IT !

Fast, stable, and you can't beat the ability to put all the rods under the deck for the launch and for coming in. There was plenty of room for me to carry my two rods and Mullet Millers two rods on the way in (the waves got a bit large while we were out)

I do agree with bospa, the damned heel rests are annoying. I have a blister on the back of my ankle from them.

View PostTook my 15 out on her maiden voyage today - LOVE IT !

Fast, stable, and you can't beat the ability to put all the rods under the deck for the launch and for coming in. There was plenty of room for me to carry my two rods and Mullet Millers two rods on the way in (the waves got a bit large while we were out)

I do agree with bospa, the damned heel rests are annoying. I have a blister on the back of my ankle from them.

didn't know you just purchased an OK 15

good feedback, more is welcome