Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Semper Fly

spey line modification question

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I was able to purchase three Orvis spey lines for real cheap. However, I do not spey fish and was wondering if these lines can be cut and modified into a fly line for normal casting or perhaps any other fly fishing use. The dimensions of the line are 52 foot front head taper and 62 foot running line. might be a stretch but was wondering if anyone out there has done something similar. Thanks

I have bought three Spey Wonderlines because being cheap they are very good building material. Usually long front taper becomes a long head and shorter back taper becomes shorter head. I like Wonderline core because it does not stretch much.

You need weight and measure needed section you want to use. To success perhaps you need to examine few lines you know how they behave and compare them before cutting. IMHO finished line/head back taper does not mean much so I may cut the thickest section without worry and loop it or weld or splice it to running line. In the other hand the front taper means everything so I select it carefully and have built many different kinds of tapered heads.

I have few lines I use for Pike fishing which are just about 25ft of Spey line rear taper/level head with running line so it does not have any front taper because it means much when casting huge and wind resistant flys.

You can find out correct lenght doing casting test. But when the line lenght out of rod tip feels right you need to cut head longer than the lenght out of rod tip because you feel the line inside rod as well so at first take three feet longer and test cast it. Perhaps you cut less than one feet more away or almost all three. It is so personal.

Semper Fly,

I can't recommend this book from actual experience, but I know it comes highly recommended by many and I will be buying it soon... Al Buhr's "How to Design Fly Lines".

Al Buhr is an FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor, on the FFF Casting Board of Governors and a pioneer in the line building/casting arena; designing lines for Scientific Angler's and rods for Sage. From what I understand, the book covers tapers and splices. I know that a few shops in the Northwest sell his book along with a line welding kit to help you make seamless fly lines. PM me if you need a link or number of a shop that sells it.