Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quonny

Different lures by region??

15 posts in this topic

I have caught hundreds of LMB, on certain buzzbaits and spinners when I lived in PA. After moving to RI, I am using the same lures I used before, and cannot get a hit. I have had to go to different colored spinners, and plastic grubs and crayfish to get action. Anybody got any idea on why that would be?confused.gif

The fish in RI are as messed up as the residents?? headscratch.gif j/k of course.

Color could be a matter of local forage but I catch fish in Canada on the same lures I do here in Jersey.

View PostI have caught hundreds of LMB, on certain buzzbaits and spinners when I lived in PA. After moving to RI, I am using the same lures I used before, and cannot get a hit. I have had to go to different colored spinners, and plastic grubs and crayfish to get action. Anybody got any idea on why that would be?confused.gif

get yourself a package of 5" Yum Dingers in watermelon candy.. texas rig em with no weight.

View PostI have caught hundreds of LMB, on certain buzzbaits and spinners when I lived in PA. After moving to RI, I am using the same lures I used before, and cannot get a hit. I have had to go to different colored spinners, and plastic grubs and crayfish to get action. Anybody got any idea on why that would be?confused.gif

Same thing happened to me, when I moved from Ohio to California. In ohio, I never caught anything on a jig and pig, but out here, I have caught some real chunkers. I guess its just match the hatch.

View Postget yourself a package of 5" Yum Dingers in watermelon candy.. texas rig em with no weight.

if there was one conclusion lure that works everywhere

a senko, dinger, stick-o or any imitator would be the answer

If your in RI you need to lure 'em with quahogs or clamcakes....

Q

need more info to make a determination. Is watertemp higher here than in Pa?

Water temp is pretty high here already.How shallow is the water you are fishing?

Are you fishing smaller lakes here than in Pa? what is the forage differences?

View PostQ

need more info to make a determination. Is watertemp higher here than in Pa?

Water temp is pretty high here already.How shallow is the water you are fishing?

Are you fishing smaller lakes here than in Pa? what is the forage differences?

Well actually I have been fishing from shore for the most part. Seeing as how you are from RI, I am fishing Wilson Reservoir, and wallum lake. The water is warm, but not quite like the bath water in some of the places I fished in PA I did take a +/_ 4 lb LMB from Wallum on Sunday in about 6 feet of water on a chug bug. Actually first LMB I have gotten there. Ususally it is SMB

View PostI use a chug bug a lot for topwater around here too with good success. I also have great sucess with rattle traps.

Floaters or sinkers on the rattle traps? I have 2 but the sink, a chrome and blue, and a gold one

View PostWell actually I have been fishing from shore for the most part. Seeing as how you are from RI, I am fishing Wilson Reservoir, and wallum lake. The water is warm, but not quite like the bath water in some of the places I fished in PA I did take a +/_ 4 lb LMB from Wallum on Sunday in about 6 feet of water on a chug bug. Actually first LMB I have gotten there. Ususally it is SMB

Wallum is one of the most heavily pressured lakes in the area. I was there on Saturday and managed to put 3 fish in the boat. It's one of the toughest lakes around.

View PostFloaters or sinkers on the rattle traps? I have 2 but the sink, a chrome and blue, and a gold one

sinking rattle traps only.Keep the rod tip high so it rides about a foot below surface.

View Postsinking rattle traps only.Keep the rod tip high so it rides about a foot below surface.

I do that a lot with diving plugs. I got 5 LMB last night. One on a rubber crayfish, and 4 on a larhe yellow and chartruese spinner with 2 gold blades. Something I have had for years, and I cannot remember ever catching a fish on it. I tried everything last night. The weapon of choice for the moment is a yellow spinner about 1 hour before dark