Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paymaster

Smokin!!!!!!!!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I had to go to the "double Texas crutch"! Foil AND to the oven, big storms coming, yikes.

View PostI had to go to the "double Texas crutch"! Foil AND to the oven, big storms coming, yikes.

Nothing to be ashamed of. I have done that in the past several time. Thought I would this time as well. Squall blew up quick but ended just as quick,luckily.

Had 8 racks of baby backs in the (WSM) smoker yesterday. Used the Minion method to start the fire. Waited for the temps to climb over 210 and disassembled the unit to put the ribs on. After that for the first 3 hours I had a hard time getting the temp up to 200, sat around 190 or 195 with lower vents full open. At 3 hours I looked and saw only one small patch of charcoal burnt. Dissasembled the WSM and saw that I dumped the starter charcoal in the empty no bottom coffee can, but neglected to pull the can out to start the coals from the middle. Only a couple of coals that overflowed the can had hit the unlit charcoal. Got it corrected and all turned out fine (real fine), just a beer or two extra of cooking time (never hurt anyone).

Used my smoker for the first time yesterday and made some baby back ribs. Had them in there for 5 hours and they were AWESOME! My wife is still talking about them. I used hickory, but was thinking of trying apple the next time. What types of wood do you guys like using? I have a pork shoulder ready to go on Saturday.