Snagging bunker and releasing stripers

Rate this topic

Are stripers usually hooked deep when you catch one with a treble hook snag rig and bunker? I don't know if this would be worth using for me since I like to release the fish I catch. Would it be better just to stick with plugs then?

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

Yes, snag hooks and bunker may get deeply hooked. Pencil poppers are a better choice if your releasing fish (if the bunker is around).

Problem with live bunker is you have to let the bass inhale it. If your on a boat because you can bring the bunker in and replace it to a single hook in the back, from shore you don't have that luxury.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

For a variety of reasons, i snag em and winch em in quick and switch rods to a beefier conventional with a 4oz wieght and big single hook on 60 or 80lb test.

This ensures

1. Good hook placement

2. Clean hook up for catch and release

3. Gets the bunker down deep where the big girls are

4. Normally you need a longer whippier rod to snag bunker on a yak, sometimes of course its silly easy, but most times its alot of work. The rod I use is less stout and I have found myself outgunned by bigger fish. This way I can use my big Lami yak rod.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I'm 99% C&R and even if I wasn't I always swap to my designated livelining set up: 7ft St. Croix, avet mxl, 2 oz egg sinker, 50lbs flouro, Gami octopus 10/0

But I'm a boat fisherman so take that with a grain of salt and it doesn't count anyway right? wink.gif

I'll be the odd man out here and say I've never had a bass gut hooked with a snagged bunker. I'll snag 'em and engage the reel and the drag is set. There's not a chance in hell that a bass with swalow a bunker doing it like this. If you keep the line tight and can feel the bunker you'll be fine. I use a 10/0 snag hook FWIW.

Caught numerous bass this spring and every one of them have been hooked in the roof of the mouth and in the corner of the mouth. Almost all of them were released no worse for the wear, with the exception of a sore mouth.wink.gif

U.S. Marines: No better friend, no worse enemy.

All my snag and drop fish from shore have been hooked in the mouth. I've yet to catch or see one that was gut hooked. I'm sure it happens but a fairly quick hookset should minimize the problem.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

View PostFor a variety of reasons, i snag em and winch em in quick and switch rods to a beefier conventional with a 4oz wieght and big single hook on 60 or 80lb test.

This ensures

1. Good hook placement

2. Clean hook up for catch and release

3. Gets the bunker down deep where the big girls are

4. Normally you need a longer whippier rod to snag bunker on a yak, sometimes of course its silly easy, but most times its alot of work. The rod I use is less stout and I have found myself outgunned by bigger fish. This way I can use my big Lami yak rod.

Duh.....Use cast net.wink.gif .....

.FAIL!

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

From the shore. Use a 10/0 snag hook and set the hook a little quicker . You may lose a few smaller fish but the bigger girls are swallowing a 3 pound bunker like a pill. It is a trade off yes but you will have an easier time releasing fish unharmed. I have replaced the tail hooks with a single on my poppers for that very reason.

From a boat or yak definitely switch over to a single hook. You will also have the opportunity to place the bunker on the hook leaving the most of the hook exposed for better hook a up ratio.

plays well with others

View PostAll my snag and drop fish from shore have been hooked in the mouth. I've yet to catch or see one that was gut hooked. I'm sure it happens but a fairly quick hookset should minimize the problem.

Yup, quick hookset

You miss a few more fish but you don't seriously injure the ones you catch.

A very fair trade off in my book.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

View PostYup, quick hookset

You miss a few more fish but you don't seriously injure the ones you catch.

A very fair trade off in my book.

I will have to try setting the hook sooner again. I had a lot of misses in the past and then just allowed them to get more time to swallow.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')