Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

New fly fisher needing help!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am cruising in the caribbean and have been doing offshore trolling and jigging, and inshore spinning. Now I am looking into fly fishing on the flats of the Bahamas, BVI's and Roques. I do have a budget, but still want a very good set up. I've been looking into ross, and am wondering if there is another company that sells great gear at reasonable prices. I'm looking at a Ross Evolution LT #4 or a Ross Vexsis #4, which I will be using for fishing bonefish, permit, and MAYBE small tarpon. I am also looking at their Essence FS or FC rods, probably a #8. So, does anyone have any comments or other ideas, I won't be able to go much over $500, but might be able to squeeze another $50 into the 500. Thanks a LOT for any replies! smile.gif

Hey Supertuna,

Your making me very jelouse with your fly fishing plans in the Bahamas amigo! For fly gear in your range, I would reccomend a Bauer MacKenzie Superlite. I've tried and own two Ross Reels and I never liked either too much. I find them less durable than most reels on the market and a pain sometimes to clean as their drags aren't fully sealed. There are also a lot of plastic inside the reel; not a fan. The Bauers are higher n quality and I like the feel of them a lot better. The model I mentioned above is $365 in the size you are interested in. As for fly rods the Jim Teeney TFO models are great for the budget you are looking at.

Have fun amigo,

Dilan

Thnaks for the info! I'll look into it! But, have you used any of the new ross reels? I've heard they have MANY more metal parts now.? Plus I've heard good things about the costumer service.? I will look into the other brands though! Thanks! And funny, my name is dylan! Thanks!

I own several Ross reels (two BGs, two Gunnisons, and one Cimarron), and will recommend them. I don't own either of the models that you mentioned, but have fished one of the last generation Evolutions., and it was a nice reel. The new LT version has the same drag design as the Momentum LT, which should handle any of the species that you mention. The Bauers are nice, too. My buddy owns several of those and really likes them. Another buddy has a Ross Momentum, and though he owns several brands of reels, it is his favorite because of its drag.

As far as the durability goes, I have never had a problem with any of my Ross reels. I surf fish with them, boat fish with them, and flats fish with them; including submerging them numerous times. I don't baby my gear, but do perform at least minimal maintenance on it. On most days, I will rinse the reels off if I have acces to freshwater, but if they get drenched, submerged or dropped in the sand, I will go through the 20 minute soak as recommended.

On several occasions, I have dropped my BG 4 into the mud and sand on a flat. Once, it filled up with so much mud that the clutch dogs could not move because their pockets were packed with mud. I loosened the drag, and swished the reel back and forth in the water, and all of the mud/sand was gone instantly. Sealed vs unsealed drags are IMHO a matter of preference. Unsealed drags have been the norm for decades, but if you don't want to have to back off your drags and rinse your reels in freshwater, go with a sealed drag.

The one time I used Ross' customer service, it was excellent. I sent one of the BGs back for its free annual cleaning. The reel was shipped out, cleaned, lubed, (maybe) adjusted and returned within two weeks for free.

I don't know anything about their rods, so I can't help there.