Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stonefish

Crease Fly Materials?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

you can get a stack of the foam sheets from almost any craft store. I did invest in a crease fly cutter though. Figured since I was saving money on the foam, I could spend it on the cutter.

My best resource has been Micheal Craft Stores.

Just this weekend I bought a pack of a couple dozen pre-glittered foam sheets with adhesive side. They have thick foam too for the most gurglers, plus doll eyes, paints, epoxies, beads, even some marabou.

Fun Foam or whatever name they call it is the best for Crease Flys. I've bought it on sale for 17 cents a sheet at times. The sticky back stuff works for the foil effect but the CA melts that adhesive so I find 3M contact cement the best for that but plain ole white is the best. Markers make them come to life and gives your ideas on color pop. I never bought the cutters, once you learn with scissors its so much easier, plus you can cut any size with ease. Here is one that has a little extra but it didn't take long at all to make.

I use different hooks with different proportions for my crease flies, the cutters would be pointless for me. I kinda like shaping them myself anyway. I just use amazing goop for an adhesive, and throw a clothes pin on it until it dries. A quick coat of 15 minute epoxy and you're good to go. I have some foam that I picked up from our local craft store, it didn't float as high, and was much softer than the stuff I buy for a whopping 1.25$ at work.

Craft stores are definitely the way to go for cost savings - however, if you're not completely sure, you can always by the Blados kit once (to see what it entails), then replenish as needed from a craft store.

I've had good luck with the sticky back foam sheets from Wally Mart. White is the only color you need. A good tip I picked up here is that if you are using permanent markers then coat with Hard as Nails before epoxy to prevent the colors running (that is unless you want them to bleed). Also if you are looking for the transfer foils then do a search on Jones Tones for the right stuff. These flies don't always work for me but when they do they are a blast to fish.crease101.JPG