Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R.R. Bridge Fisher

question for Bob G

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Bob,

I just got this old custom 1 piece that was made by johhny williams.My father-inlaw just got it out of his attic. Can you give me any info about this?Do you know what blank would have been used that looks like this? The reel seat is different than Ive seen and action is like a noodle rod? Is this good for pencil/needle fishing? Whats your thoughts

Thanksattachment.php?attachmentid=370377&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=370378&stc=1

Yup, I know all about those rods.

Johnny used to use those white blanks a lot. My Dad had one (it's in the old photo I posted a few weeks back). I still have it.

The blank was made by Lami. You're right, the action was real sloppy. A terrible casting rod. A 5oz sinker,a half mackerel or whole squid, tossing out, stick it in the rocks, and watch it. Johnny made these rods strictly for using bait on the bottom, not casting plugs or jigs.

Note the guides.cwm15.gif They are neither full spinning or conventional. Johnny built them with that odd size, the thinking being they could be used for both spinning and conventional.

Also, Johnny HATED to use reel seats. He wasn't good at installing them. So whoever ordered that rod, really wanted a reel seat. Johnny installed one of those old Fuji seats that you wind right over the cork tape. Almost as if you were winding on a guide.

View PostThanks Bob,

Not sure what to do with this rod.

RR

fish bait with it......That rod looks like an old white spiral 4 or 5m......I really liked those blanks for bait fishing.......