Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Acceptable or not?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

What the hell is going on with the epoxy job and what's the metallic wrap on the right side of the guide?

This certainly isn't true custom although maybe it was built specifically for someone and was just wrapped and finished very poorly? It sure wasn't built by a professional builder. Perhaps a novice builder's first rod who didn't know any better?

Yes, the finish completely covers the entire area between this guide, and 2 others on the rod, and it climbs all ovr the legs of the others

- that wrap to the right of the guide goes all the way to the tip. I don't know why, but it's an abortion.

WHat's sad is I'v seen epoxy jobs like this from several guys who wrap rods - guys who are relatively new, to guys who have been building for decades. I see them tout themselves as great, I see fishermen recommnding them all over the place on various forums.

If anyone reads this and is offended because you build rods that look like this - well you shouldn't be offended, you should be embarassed.

View PostYes, the finish completely covers the entire area between this guide, and 2 others on the rod, and it climbs all ovr the legs of the others

- that wrap to the right of the guide goes all the way to the tip. I don't know why, but it's an abortion.

WHat's sad is I'v seen epoxy jobs like this from several guys who wrap rods - guys who are relatively new, to guys who have been building for decades. I see them tout themselves as great, I see fishermen recommnding them all over the place on various forums.

If anyone reads this and is offended because you build rods that look like this - well you shouldn't be offended, you should be embarassed.

I am fairly new to building.. 1 1/2 yrs and maybe about 20 rods under my belt....i've never had one even come close to looking like that. If I did i would cut it off and start over. What is the deal with wrapping to the tip???

Well at least that guide isn't going anywhere...

Looks good to me, maybe you can construct a dip tank like a giant fondue pot full of epoxy for a job like that. By the way Billy I'd like to sell you finish. (just kidding, I know you didn't build it)

Darrin Heim

American Tackle Company

I have a LOT of rods from ultra light trout rods to 8 and bait heavers, 95% of I paid less than $50 for, a good number were under $20 and not a single one is even remotely close to that. I wouldn't be happy with it if that was an off the rack $9 rod let alone if someone was trying to charge me "Custom Rod" prices.

My first wrap on a repair looked better than that.

So. If I'm paying for it. He's getting it handed right back to him. And if he tries panning it off as an acceptable job like I'm some kinda moron. I'd find another builder.

View PostWell at least that guide isn't going anywhere...

I guess you are sort of right. Here's the guide that got bent outof shape somewhow. I can't tell if the epoxy prevented the guide from bending, or the ultimate strength of the USG didn't allow it to bend.