Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

I think Blank to blank , not manufacturer , what about you?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

When someone asks me for a blank recommndation for a particular rod type , I always think of individual blanks , not of the manufacturers line/ It dawns on me that I have no real manufacturer loyalty except within their full line I do love certain blanks.

The closest I ever came to a manufacturer loyalty was the Allstars as they were all good and all reasonably priced. Even within the Lami line which I admit to making more lamis than any other brand , There's only a handfull of blanks that I use despite maybe a hundred or more in their line.

So what about you? Do you think manufacturer and then what blank within their line or do you think discreet blanks that just happen to be made by this or that manufacturer?

To illustrate my point , I look at my own rods

1 Lami XRA 1205

1 Loomis 1266

1 Allstar 1418 , 1 Century tip tornado

1 sabre or Pac bay (I forget which) 967

I do have a second Lami steelhead rod for small fish times (early spring and late fall rats) hopwever i have often though about replacing that with a Loomis 965.

So anyway , almost all from different manufacturers.

On the other hand , I have about 8 Abu reels and 3 Calcuttas. That's it. I do have some old big Penn reels on my old beater rods I kept on my sailboat but don't really count that as serious fishing , just something to do when there's no wind.

Reel manufacturer loyalty but not rod blank loyalty...hmmm

BTW , the edits were spelling corrections done immediately

I agree with you 100%. I think of what blank would be best for the type of rod I am building and what application it will be used for. Even the casting experience of the angler for a surf rod. Never think of just 1 brand and what they offer.

Saltheart,

I'm with you. My thought process is application, blank specs and then manufacturer. Blank referrals from other reputable builders and fishermen plus personal experience with a manufacturer or line also weigh heavily in the decision making process. I may check out blank specs from company A first before moving on to other options, so I guess I have some brand loyalty but my brand loyalty goes only so far.

In my opinion if you allow brand loyalty to rule the day, you'll miss out on a lot of great blanks

agreed..

and this is one of the most challenging things for me when it comes to ordering a blank unseen solely based on its ratings. i really need to feel and see the flex.

Most offshore rods that I build are done on Calstars. They have the best offshore system of blanks. For inshore I like to use more medium taper blanks. Amtak, Batson and Fish Poison fit into the lighter weight designs.

No manufacturer does everything right.

shaky.gif

I think it's funny how things can get stuck in your head. I have a different maker for different types of rod. Surf chunking rod - Mudhole/Lami surf rocket. Light beach plugging -- St. Croix. Medium beach plugging - Rainshadow. Heavy beach plugging - AmTak Viper. Beach fluke rod - Lami Steelhead blank. The list in my head goes on and on.

What's curious about this is that when I'm looking for something for the first time, I look all over the place, at every manufacturer I can find. But once I've identified a blank that fits the bill, it's hard to get me to change my mind. Once I learned, for example, that the Amtak Viper 1089 makes a tremendously good Big Wood Heaver, that blank will probably fill that niche for me until it's taken off the market. It's hard for something new to come in and take the place of something I've used before.

And I should probably be more like this with reels, but I'm not. I use Penns for almost everything; the only exceptions are a couple of Abus and the Alveys I use for slinging bait. I know Penn is not the same company they were 20 years ago, but their factory is three miles from my house, and I can't get past that (plus, I also like the fact that they're committed to servicing reels that they haven't made for decades).

Saltheart, while I'm a novice builder, I worked selling/managing/purchasing tackle for 20+ years, and I shared your views on taking rods at "face value" throughout my career..From a purchasing/sales standpoint, considerations must be given to a manufacturers general popularity with your customers, and their marketing effectivness etc.... but when it came to making recommendations to customers, unless a specific brand was specified, I would always base my choices on the blank characteristics and general layout that best suited the users need, with little regard to the label or even price.. I've seen many great blanks on "cheap" and off-brand factory rods that would fill certain niches perfectly, yet the cheezy components and often "gimmicky" reel seats/handles etc. usually cause them to be overlooked by experienced anglers.. Reels on the other hand, while I try to remain open-minded, I too have my brand preferences and tend to be more biased.

Saltheart this goes back to me saying there are more blanks out there then just Lamiglas and yada yada.. it turned into a pile of squat.. Anyhow I'm a blank junkie and I will buy, get and try any blank I can just to see what it's like and if it's good.

As a builder you must be willing to try stuff..for your self or if a customer wants something else. The reason Lamiglas is so popular is.. **** chat.. and they make actions that are freindly to most and they are quality.

I have no problems building some rods from Lamiglas,Seeker,Talon,St croix, Northfork$$$, and some Amtak. But I draw the line at import blanks!! Ain't no one getting any of my All Stars beatin.gif

View PostMost offshore rods that I build are done on Calstars. They have the best offshore system of blanks. For inshore I like to use more medium taper blanks. Amtak, Batson and Fish Poison fit into the lighter weight designs.

No manufacturer does everything right.

shaky.gif

Unless you ask someone I know then he will recommend the same three rods to everyone who asks........cwm13.gif