Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John P

charging gel batteries

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The thread on trolling motor batteries bring up a question for me. I have a new gel battery and assumed a trickle charger would do the trick. What is the right way to charge these batteries? Thanks JP

Thanks for the info, How many AMPS does this charger put out? I assume the 3 stage is a charge cycle ,float and maintain charge. Can it be left plugged in? Should it be left plugged in ? JP

it's been a while since I read up on my Gel batteries, so I don't know exact numbers, but let's say that a regular lead acid likes to charge 1.0-1.4 volts above the voltage of the battery, gel only will accept 0.4-0.8 volts above battery voltage. So let's say a fully charged battery is 12.6v, a standard lead acid battery may get charged at 13.6-14v. Where a Gel only wants to charge at 13v. Doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference. Also, there are 3 stages to charging a battery. Once again, a while since I read up, so forgive me if the numbers are a little off, but they are an example. Its easier for me to draw something to explain it. The end result, a specialized 3-stage charger, meant to be programmable(whether manually or done by a computer within) as to what type of battery it is charging.

So in the diagram, I put the normal charge cycle of a completely dead 12v battery. You will notice that in the beginning it quickly ramps up the voltage of the charge, with a large amount of amps, to quickly achieve a level where the battery will more easily accept the charge. Then it drops a bit for the bulk of its charge time, still at a decent amperage rate, then bump the voltage up a BIT for the low, trickle charge, that will remain until the battery is taken off. This is generally the type of charge you will get out of a "basic" lead acid charger. The gel will not ramp the volts up that high, nor that fast, and their bulk and trickle charges should be lower than a standard lead acid.

I actually don't even own a battery charger. I have always used solely the motor for charging my batteries, and don't even pull them out of the boat in the winter, so I really can't help. PS, my batteries last me a minimum of 4 years. Never had a trolling motor.

View PostThanks for the info, How many AMPS does this charger put out? I assume the 3 stage is a charge cycle ,float and maintain charge. Can it be left plugged in? Should it be left plugged in ? JP

I have the 10amp model for two batteries. I always leave it plugged in. No problems.