Inches and Pounds

Rate this topic

MDM

I just read a thread where it was stated that great fisherman never talk in Inches but in Pounds. OR that they never talk at all or something like that.

Anyway, All I carry is this retractable tape thing that I got at Surfland for like 2 bucks and I would rather carry that than a Boga. Those Bogas weigh me down.

I release most all of my fish so measuring them makes more sense to me than guessing the weight (even though at the Topsfield Fair I could always win at that "Guess the weight of the lady game" but alas women are not fish)

Is there some way I can convert inches to pounds accurately without having to carry a chart and do the whole girth x length x Pie formula so I can tell my friends what I caught in Pounds so I don't sound like a goog?

Oh yeah, I suck at Math too.

i carry a boga when i'm not wetsuiting. for big fish, just take the length and girth with your tape and calculate with the formula when you get home! i have the boga solely for weighing fish, but it's too heavy to drag around when i'm swimming to rocks, plus, with their cost i dont want to see how they hold up to being submurged for long periods of time.

I carry a 60lb boga and don't even realize it's on my belt half the time. headscratch.gif

"Lucky" is a fictional character on the interwebs. Nothing "Lucky" says or does can be or should be construed as a real thought by an actual person. Objects in your rear view mirror may appear to be closer than they actually are.

I hear ya, but to me as long as I am out fishing and catching and releasing I dont care what the length or weight but anyway there is a chart here on sol

http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/weight_length/ what you can do is put some notes formulas and the equivelant weights in to your cell phone if you carry one otherwise I dunno, what about one of those cheap small spring scales but then agian they will rust out, maybe look on the web for a small digital scale but you will have to keep it water proof.

View PostIs there some way I can convert inches to pounds accurately without having to ...do the whole girth x length x Pie formula...?

No.

Weight is far more a function of girth than length - a 28" bass can weight 6 pounds or 10 pounds depending on how fat it is - so you can't accurately judge its weight by measuring its length. What you can do, however, is get a good feel for what constitutes a thin fish or a fat fish and make an informed estimate of your fish's weight taking its length into account - even a mediocre guess by someone with a good feel for weight is going to be more accurate than the best inches to pounds conversion, IMO.

By the way, my cousin in law caught a 32" bass last week when out with a few of our friends - every last person on the boat said it was between 20 and 30 pounds.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 1 in 50 fishermen will call a 12 pound bass 12 pounds.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

View Post

By the way, my cousin in law caught a 32" bass last week when out with a few of our friends - every last person on the boat said it was between 20 and 30 pounds.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 1 in 50 fishermen will call a 12 pound bass 12 pounds.

cwm27.gif I'm an optimist, I'd like to think that at least 24 would think a twelve pound fish is fourteen pounds and only 25 would think its twenty pounds or better.

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

plus, its extra tough because a 15lb fish feels like 25 lb dead weights. Its hard to compare unless you know exactly what a 10, 20, and 30lb fish feels like.

I cant compare it to a 10lb baby like my neice, or a 20lb dumbell or something cause you dont hold it the same, it doesn't hang the same.....both could be 20lbs, but its dang hard to tell.

Here fishy fishy fishy!

View PostI hear ya, but to me as long as I am out fishing and catching and releasing I dont care what the length or weight

clapping.gif (though I understand in the beginning wanting to know, just hope that phase isn't excessivesmile.gif )

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

I will fill sandbags in 1/2 lb increments. Mark them with a Sharpie. Close my eyes and, like Kane studying the lost are of Kung Fu, Train myself to accurately boast about my catch in pounds and not inches. This I will do.

View PostAgreed highfive.gif

^^^ Judging by your picture in your signature, i'd assume your not neccesarily a "light-weight" fishermanbiggrin.gif (not refering to personal weight, rather think of a hiker who buys 2lb sleeping tents, 1lb hiking boots, a 2.5lb backback, etc.) lol

some people like to be very lightweight and mobile, right?

Here fishy fishy fishy!

View Post^^^ Judging by your picture in your signature, i'd assume your not neccesarily a "light-weight" fishermanbiggrin.gif (not refering to personal weight, rather think of a hiker who buys 2lb sleeping tents, 1lb hiking boots, a 2.5lb backback, etc.) lol

some people like to be very lightweight and mobile, right?

What is that in the picture anyway? lol

MSA #1273
LIBBA #1274