Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Buying online vs. buying local

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Why is it such a guilt trip for some to not buy local? A sale and good deal is a sale and a good deal right? Who cares where it comes from. What I am tired of is greed from some tackle shops. I need a break man. Money don't grow on trees for me either.

I don't miss paying percentages above retail on reels and helping a tackle shop owner retire on my money that way. No more 3 packs of 9" sluggo's for 9 bucks. Nothing like dropping off your reels for 20 dollar tune ups and every reel comes back 50 % of the value and still is not right. mad.gif

I bought a 279.00 dollar for 82 dollars off last month with free shipping and countless other deals on reels in the last 10 years. The UPS truck is my tackle guy for the most part. I pour my own plastics now. I build my own rods now and save additional money there. I service my own reels and call the factory direct for parts. And when service goes to **** from online retailers, we can whine about it here online and not worry about a hit squad around town.

My tackle shop focuses on bait to make money. So when I need eels I'll buy from them. Trust me, If I had the time and enthusiasm, I would trap my own eels in the Mystic. And when my local shop refuses to carry eels because of dying too fast, I'm forced to trap my own anyways. cwm13.gif

I don't feel terrible or guilty. I feel great now. smile.gif

I agree with you that money doesn't grow on trees and I have no intention of throwing it away.

That being said most of my new pruchases come from local shops. Local shops are a part of our community as fishermen. They serve as places to buy bait and tackle (duh) as well as sources of information or places to just hang out and BS.

Local B&T shops are also avialable for me when I realize that I have no hooks, hot plugs, leader etc... and need it NOW, not when UPS can get it to me. Making the items I need available to me requires inventory, rent, man power and all hethings that fit into the catergory of overhead. Unfortunatly for shop owners and their customers this increases their cost it is reflected in the price.

While prices can tend to be somehwhat higher I like extras I get locally. I feel that the overall value from my dollar spent is better shopping locally. Now if the only shop I had in town was aplace I got yelled at for looking over the pogies for too long I might change my mind.

my $0.02

sam

It's just a shift in business.

Remember when everyone went nuts that Lowes and Home Depot were going to drum the local hardware stores out of business?

Yeah...not so much. The end result was that local stores don't carry as much inventory as they once might have but the level of expertise is typically much better than the big box stores.

Local B&T got complacent with being the only game in town. They assumed their business expenses from this fact and that it would never change. Unfortunately for them it has and they can either adapt and thrive or refuse to and go under.

What irks me is that local places have an incredible advantage with smaller local boutique plug builders. A single shop could very well be the only locale to get something VERY special that someone locally makes. They have a specific advantage over Cabelas and Bass Pro in that they demand volumes MUCH larger than what a local home builder could come up with. They have almost never capitalized upon that. They continue to carry the same stuff they have for decades and do little to push the community to create and evolve designs.

There will always be a place for the local B&T. As long as there are fisherman who can't keep their mouths shut (fishing reports) and a product that can't be shipped (bait) and people with an immediate need there will always be a market for the local B&T.

a lot of you guys need to realize that these "online" shops are just eCommerce sites for regular old tackle shops. 75% of them aren't huge discount fulfillment warehouses.

To each his own. Personally, I usually buy local, but not for any ethical reason. I'm a very impulsive shopper, and if I want something, I want it NOW! I don't like ordering stuff and waiting. I like going to the store, holding it in my hands, walking out with it, and using it that day!

To be honest with you I have never bought anything online, but that is because I haven't bought anything really expensive that could be bought online at a huge discount. Most of my gear has been bought at local B&T's, with the exception being an occassional purchase at Benny's or Dick's, and I never felt guilty at Benny's but maybe a little at Dick's, only because I could have waited and gone to M&D's or one of the other local shops....and Dick's prices are now plummeting and inventory is so poor that there is really nothing for me to consider there. I recently saw a tsunami metal lip going for $22 at Dick's, which is in no way a deal.

No truer words were ever spoken.... there is no honor among thieves so to speak...

I trap my own eels only because having a slip birthed boat, it makes the chore easy..I build my own plugs, and pour my own jigs , because at one time I had 4 little mouths to feed and couldnt afford to keep buying them even at the "old day" prices..today, it's just a way to save money for my retirement and keep in touch with the fish over the winter ( at least in spirit)

I repair all my own reels ( parts bought on line) mainly because, I'm a mechanic by trade and I been doing so for years....I can order the parts faster and recieve them faster than most tackle shops are willing to do...

Just recently, I decided after seeing a flyer from West marine that I would upgrade my antique GPS.. after checking all the local shops and finding the price the same give or take a few bucks, I decided ( with goading from my wife)to look on line... long story short, by buying on line( Garmin factory warehouse) I saved close to $300 with some of the options I got... I have no trouble with a local ( even a chain store) making a few bucks, even $50.. but to save $300... that buy's a summer time of fuel for my 18' boat.. if I dont wander too far down the beach...

Everything has gone askew price wise.. and in this economy... every buck I save is one more I can have when I retire... if... Uncle Sam or Father Duval doesnt steal it away from me...

TVM, time value of money. I can make more by having someone else catch the eels or wrap the rod than if I did it myself. I'd rather not have lead in the house and pouring my own plastics is about as exciting to me as whacking my sack with a hammer.

If I plan ahead and buy a bus full of sluggos at the big chain or online great for me, if I don't I pay the piper. I try to spread purchases among the people that have been good to me over the years, CB&T, Red Top, First Light, Hook Up, Goose etc. I always ask about prices first and if they're higher I'll mention an online price so long as they get close great. For the $30-$50 a year I may pay over online prices for thousands of bucks worth of stuff I like the fact that those guys will all go to bat when something happens.

View PostI maybe even cheaper Jeff, because if I can't buy it used or a blem I don't buy it, fish don't care one bit

lol Bob. All Plumbers are cheap. highfive.gif

I hope you slammed em up north. It appears we have another push going on now. Tight lines.

I only buy plugs online that I can't find at my local shop, other than that, most everything I buy down the street. Let's face it, there's not too many things that I use that can't be found there.

View PostThat $279 reel you got isn't worth $82.

At least mine isn't. frown.gif

lol...I'm starting to see that now. cwm27.gif At least we are not alone.