Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyFish7

Penn international fly reels

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these fly reels? I am pretty sure they are not made anymore.

Are they considered an antique?

Are they well made enough to stand up to repeated saltwater use? How are the larger models for weights 10 and up?

Can you find parts easily for them if they break-where?

Do they break easily?

Thanks

PS - I basically never had any problems with these reels. Once about 5 or 6 years ago, I stripped the threading for the screw on the drag cap and had to order another one. This was on my 1.5, which is gold. Since the reel had already been discontinued and Penn only had select parts left, I had to settle for a black drag cap. So I have a 'custom' black and gold Penn 1.5redface.gif

The drag on these reels are second to none and haven't lost a thing in all these years

There are some threads on the Penn fly reels, which you can research if you like. The consensus was that they were a bit heavy, but otherwise solid reels with good drags.

Thanks guys! How easy easy is it to find parts? Basically im thinking about buying one but if it broke im wondering if I can fix it or will it be a total loss because I cant find the parts...ya know?

They're in PA. You can call them and speak to the guys that do service. They'll tell you what parts are available and probably anything else you may want to know.

If you google penn reel parts there is site that still has most of the parts in stock. The site is not to fancy, but I have ordered from them with no problems. Just email them first to make sure what your looking for is still in stock.

I had one. The smallest one they made. It was built like a battle ship. You can't hurt them. What I didn't like about it was its weight. Itis a really heavy reel.

View PostI had one. The smallest one they made. It was built like a battle ship. You can't hurt them. What I didn't like about it was its weight. Itis a really heavy reel.

Yeah - they are heavy. The smallest one is the 1.5...which as you said (and just like the other two in the series) is built like a tank. At one point, before they were discontinued, I was considering a 4.0 for the off chance that I may tangle with something larger...but opted for the Islander FR3 because it's lighter. But I (in no way) regret buying the 1.5 or the 2.5.

The fly reels are bomb proof as stated by many including myself. I own one of each except the 1.5 that I'm still

looking for.

The 4 and 4AR= anti reverse will take on any bill fish no worries. Line 11-15  WF12-F 450/30lb backing

WF12-F 410/15lb backing.

The 2.5 any fish up to a bill fish, no worries. Line 8-11 WF9-F 250/20lb backing WF9-F 225/10lb backing.

The 1.5 I want one :) Geer Ratio 2-1 Line 6-8  WF6-F 150/20lb backing WF6-F 135/10lb backing.

Penn stopped making them in 2004. The parts are getting harder to find and more costly as time passed.

I will be in Alaska this summer pure fishing :) and will have only the Penn fly reels. The 2.5 is awesome even

when you get a King on the line, just play it and you'll win, you may break a sweat but not the reel.

Hope that helps.

(*Edited - we don't allow commercial links here, please do not post them - thanks. TimS)

I have a 2.5 Penn Gold. I wouldn't part with it. I sold a 4.0 a few years ago and I sort of regret that. the reels are overbuilt. They are heavier than the high end reels but who cares they are a great example of an American made product. I wish that Penn would reintroduce the exact same reel again. Made in the USA. No outsourcing.

So many talk about the weight and the smaller arbor but Seamaster reels have the same issues? There are still some bargains out there on Penn reels and they are significantly cheaper than the Seamasters!