Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonO

Wheel Weight Sinkers

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm having problems when I melt wheel weights and pour the lead into bank sinker molds. The lead is grainy and often breaks at the neck of the sinker. I cull out the stick on weights and I cool the molten mix and skim off the part that goes solid first then molding the remaining mix. This seems to help but is there a better way to remove the impurities from the wheel weights.

Thanks for any help,

Don

View PostI'm having problems when I melt wheel weights and pour the lead into bank sinker molds. The lead is grainy and often breaks at the neck of the sinker. I cull out the stick on weights and I cool the molten mix and skim off the part that goes solid first then molding the remaining mix. This seems to help but is there a better way to remove the impurities from the wheel weights.

Thanks for any help,

Don

I've read somewhere Wheel weights are terrible to use for making weights just because of all the impurities and contaminants that go into making them.

I've used wheel weights with no problewm, there is a ton of crud in them so you have to keep skimming the slag off, but they can work. Skim, skim, skim.

Are you keeping the mold hot when you pour so the lead keeps flowing better in the mold and not having parts harden faster then others?

We melt in a cast iron dutch oven, one of us pours and the other unmolds. The process goes quite quickly so the molds stay very hot. The larger (8 ounce) sinkers seem to be most prone to breaking. Is it possible that the molds aren't hot enough?

Don

View PostWe melt in a cast iron dutch oven, one of us pours and the other unmolds. The process goes quite quickly so the molds stay very hot. The larger (8 ounce) sinkers seem to be most prone to breaking. Is it possible that the molds aren't hot enough?

Don

small sinkers pour OK, big ones sucks right?? Yup, could be heat, or if you are spooning in the lead, you are not going fast enough if you have to pour several spoons to fill the larger sinker.

I just had this problem last month when I was pouring. Oddly only one sinker mold gave me problems and in that sinker mold it was only the 4 oz sinker that would break at the neck. I think the mold was from 1 to 5 or 4,5,6 all bank sinkers. None of the other molds had problems and none of the other bank sinkers broke. And it didn't happen everytime either headscratch.gif

The wheel weights I was using are from a batch I got probally close to 8 years ago and I never melted them down.

There are different melting points for the various metals in the wheel weights. Couple that with the other impurities and you can have issues. Skim the melting pot regularily to remove the crap. You might also have to keep the pot hotter for the larger size sinkers. Like Surf Hunter said, it might be hard to pour those larger ones fast enough. Some of the metals are becoming unmolten as you pour, thus the issues. Soft lead, like you get from a plumbing supply store melts much more evenly, even on larger jigs/weights.

Jigman

Does the problem get worse after you have poured a few? Are they breaking when you are taking them out of the mold? If so then you might lot be giving them time to cool enough. You might need to pour a few with the mold and then switch it out to let the mold cool down a little. It happens when pouring big stuff with me.

Dean

the metal in wheel weights get brittle when it gets TOO hot ...

it crystallizes and snaps easy....great for molding small items, but not for large anything with a neck....best to mix with soft lead for an even mix for those large pours.And if you want all the metals in your mix to play well together drop in a shaveing of bees wax[is best] or any good candle wax will do..the wax will smoke and flame up alittle but helps burn off the crud and mixes the different metals together.

For good pours make sure there is no zinc weights mixed in. They should be marked. Zinc will make for a lot of slag and you will loose a lot of weight. Then flux and flux and flux. You can not flux too much. It will make a world of difference in your pouring.

The problem you are having with the lead crystalizing comes when You try to remove them when they are still too hot. Give them some more time to cool. Wheel weights are great for bank sinkers but remember no zinc and flux. Wheel weights make sinkers that stay bright longer. They are slower to oxidize thus the stores I sell to like them better