Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loki

Disappearing Sea Life in My Area

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I don't know about other areas but I'm disgusted with the lack of near shore life on Staten Islands south shore . When I was a kid the waters were much cleaner and full of life.

Animals that have dissappeared are.

Blowfish

Northern kingfish

Lafayettes

Sand Fleas

Ghost Crabs

Tinker Mackeral

Croakers

Sand Eels

Almost Dissappeared

Grass Shrimp

Snappers

Spearing

Bay Anchovies

Peanut Bunker

Adult Bunker are getting harder to find as well.

There are probably more but right now I can't think of them.

Stripers are getting harder to find as a result of this loss of bait this life. I know the boats did well this year but my catches are pathetic when compared to earlier years.

sorry just had to vent.mad.gif .

But at least in Jamaica Bay they are going to do something about the excess nitrogen over the next 10 years coming from the Sewerage treatment plants.

Loki I too see the same dismal pattern as you on SI. I was out attempting to trap killies for four hours today. NOT A SINGLE KILLIE! and this is in one of those spots that was FULL of life a few years ago. It's sad, so sad crying.gif

Same pattern on the other side of the country. You talk to people who were here in the '70s and they describe unbelievable fishing and not just for salmon but rock fish and flatfish as well as perch.

Today pickings are thin, several species are near commercial extension, the salmon would be gone if it weren't for the hatcheries, and what you can catch has mercury and PCBs in it.

You must've forgotten that radon is seeping from Staten Island....if you haven't forgotten then now you know.

The other side of the Kill has been very productive this year...from the surf by the way.

frown.gifcwm31.gif

View PostSame pattern on the other side of the country. You talk to people who were here in the '70s and they describe unbelievable fishing and not just for salmon but rock fish and flatfish as well as perch.

Today pickings are thin, several species are near commercial extension, the salmon would be gone if it weren't for the hatcheries, and what you can catch has mercury and PCBs in it.

I've heard that in populus areas on your side of the country, part of the blame is from COPPER from vehicle brakes. I wonder what the copper tonnage is around the tri-state area? we have an awfull lot of cars etc. . I would like to know what the copper does to aur marine and tributary life.

Near shore underground water flow. It's slow but persistent and is cumulative. As recharge areas pick up water it will eventually make it to the surf zone bringing with it everything that it comes in contact with. Cape Cod is a study in progress. About now, the underground water flow will be bringing the result of 60's/70's land development with the accompanying septic tank discharge. Time will tell. Staten Island doesn't have anything buried in the ground of a toxic nature does it?

View PostI've heard that in populus areas on your side of the country, part of the blame is from COPPER from vehicle brakes. I wonder what the copper tonnage is around the tri-state area? we have an awfull lot of cars etc. . I would like to know what the copper does to aur marine and tributary life.

Copper is toxic to aquatic life, but the toxicity is related to the hardness of the recieving water. Low hardness makes copper more toxic, high hardness makes the copper less toxic.