Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurffisherMike

Sparkler wrap

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

i am trying my 3rd sparkler. the 1st wasnt that good at all, the second was wrapped well , maybe a little to large and 2 of the colors didnt have enough contrast. i have a problem meassuring out and getting the size right with this pattern. the blank is 15mm at the butt and 14mm at the tip of the wrap. doing 4 repeats thinking about 5 passes. anyone have an opinion on a good number of passes for that sized blank? love to hear what you think (or billy could just tell me, its from his damn book)

Leave space for 8 passes, and leave 2mm for the final bands to close out the pattern in the middle (about 9 threads). As you are doing the pattern use your packing tool to make adjustments. If you see the background filling up and there is a lot of space left for the pattern > pack the pattern IN and the background IN, this will open up more space for the back and you can control how many more passes to make the main pattern by how much space you leave open after packing. I usually leave 2 passes worth of space...which means very little space.

When you close the back, you move into the cnter of the pattern to close it up, wher you left 2mm of space. TAke packing tool and open up more space by reverse packing the pattern. THat make sense? Keep this in mind when doing the pattern, you dont' want a lot of gaps or space because you'll end up packing a lot and making that closing band thicker than you want.

What colors are you planning to use? Might as well let me pick the colors too sinc I feel like I just wrapped your rod, lol.

I have 4 passes on the rod already. Left enough room for three finishing middle part. It's just a thinner blank than the surf rods I usually work with. I would have check on the colors before I starter but the boss (my 8yr old son his rod) already decided on them. Probably will be better choices than I usually pic

Thats why i directed the question to billy. his book, his pattern , he doesnt need a pic. actually work on it a bit when i got home and it might be coming off anyway. i will get a pic if i get a chance.

by the way thanks billy

Mike, I got what you were saying, but I'm sure most others didn't. I really don't like sharing that depth of info. DOn't cut anything off, tak a pic first and I'll see if I can hlp.

ok here's the pics. real dingy looking but with lights it was just washed out. but you can see enough ithink. thats 6 passes with some packing. will do a some more as i go. again the question is for this blank how many passes are needed to get the proper curved look on the blank of a sparkler. and yes i should have left more room in the center (specially since i wrap pretty tight and have a hard time moving thread.

DAmn, you can leave a TON more space and make the pattern much larger. More curve? Do the background x4 for 4 or 5 passes, then x 6 for a couple, then x8 - it'll be easier to pack and much quicker to wrap and it'll look better when you are done.

yeah i was thinking along those lines. breaking out a fresh razor. but thats cool i need to do a couple of these to get better at them. again thanks for the help. i wanna shade the background anyway. i will check with my son if that passes his design requirements

Don't go too light on the back or th white will disappear. 1733, 1829, 1842, 1843 - 3 or 4 colors shaded (maybe back and forth) will work nice. Leave more space man. I'v been doing the inside boxes 2 at a time for speed the last couple of times, don't be afraid to make the patttern larger. If oyu see toomuch space just pack it closed. Or wrap 2 threads at a time, and less threads per pass in the back.

There's so much stuff I do to get the patterns done quicker, I just don't lik posting it.

i appreciate your help but dont give away the farm as far as tips go. i like figuring some stuff out to. i think the best tip is dont be afraid to cut the wrap off if your not happy with it, once the finish is you'll be looking at it for a long time plus the more you do the better you get.

Thanks billy , used 9 passes. much better. not exactly where i want it to be but they are getting better. didnt get 9 in the center finishing cross, used a mother or pearl metallic , touch to see in the pic but looks nice.