Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Brinkman charcoal grill

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone seen the brinkman? I was at homies yesterday getting some lump and chain saw oil and happened upon this grill. Has the adjustable coal tray like the Hastybake that Little showed us recently.

I have no idea to the quality (it was home depot...prolly a pos) but at $200.00 how bad could it be? Doors for storage, adjustable coal tray, wheels.

I do have a performer. Just happened to notice the brickman. Looked like an amour truck and caught my eye. cwm27.gif

No great selection at homers. I picked up a bag of cowboy for some ribs this weekend, and a bag of kingsford for daily use.

My neighbor just got one. I checked it out, looks pretty good but with all BBQ grills, you may have to mod it or use different methods to produce good BBQ. My neighbor just uses it for hotdogs and burgers. He has not realized the full potential of it yet but I told him to buy some ribs and I'll come over and school him.

Seriously though for the money, not a bad grill. I like the fact that you can regulate heat by raising or lowering the charcoal grate and its big enough to zone for indirect cooking. It has 2 lower vents and 2 upper vents on each side which give you multitudes of air flow configurations. The only drawback I saw was that the temp gauge is mounted in the lid and at least 5" from the grate level, you may not get accurate readings so I suggest an electronic dual probe temp gauge like a Maverick. Or use an oven type gauge.

View PostI do have a performer. Just happened to notice the brickman. Looked like an amour truck and caught my eye. cwm27.gif

No great selection at homers. I picked up a bag of cowboy for some ribs this weekend, and a bag of kingsford for daily use.

I put the lump right on top of kingsford briquettes...makes a raging hot fire...i am still not used to the little charcoal bins that came with the performer...hard to tell how much is in there as i never counted, just eyeballed.

Wit the bins i've maintained the low to mid 300's with the cover on....i can't seem to get 400+ with them...so i've been trying the chimney and adding fuel that seemed to do the trick. First thing i cooked was chicken breasts with the bins it worked out perfectly...they were done in a hour.

Doesn't look too bad. Does it have a removable ash tray?

Sure there's nothing it does you can't do on a Performer but you need one anyway. biggrin.gif

View PostWit the bins i've maintained the low to mid 300's with the cover on....i can't seem to get 400+ with them...so i've been trying the chimney and adding fuel that seemed to do the trick. First thing i cooked was chicken breasts with the bins it worked out perfectly...they were done in a hour.

I don't have a performer (I wish, have no room and wife said no). What do you mean when you say "bins"?

View PostWit the bins i've maintained the low to mid 300's with the cover on....i can't seem to get 400+ with them...so i've been trying the chimney and adding fuel that seemed to do the trick. First thing i cooked was chicken breasts with the bins it worked out perfectly...they were done in a hour.

You'll get 400 plus with a boat load of fuel initially, but it won't last very long, not with the cover on, and nor should it. What are you cooking at 400 with the cover on anyway?

I've figured out that the right amount of fuel with the cover off produces a very nice fire for grilling. Protein first, then the veggies while that rests under a tent foil. The key is using the right amount of fuel. My first attempts I didn't use enough.

View PostYou'll get 400 plus with a boat load of fuel initially, but it won't last very long, not with the cover on, and nor should it. What are you cooking at 400 with the cover on anyway?

I've figured out that the right amount of fuel with the cover off produces a very nice fire for grilling. Protein first, then the veggies while that rests under a tent foil. The key is using the right amount of fuel. My first attempts I didn't use enough.

Thats another thing. 400* is grilling not BBQ. I don't BBQ anything over 275*. If it gets near 300* I start to close down my vents a little more.

View PostYou'll get 400 plus with a boat load of fuel initially, but it won't last very long, not with the cover on, and nor should it. What are you cooking at 400 with the cover on anyway?

The only time i'll use the cover is for chicken or pork loin...stuff i like cooked all the way through without burning. I don't normally want 400 with teh cover i was just experimenting to see how hot it could get in case i want to cook something faster.

I normally cook the veggies first when i'm eating beef with them...they can sit on the warm spot while the beef cooks, if they are a little well done i don't mind.