Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Overlay doors on armoire

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Question: The doors are 1 1/8" thick - the face frame is 2 3/4" wide - is there any hinge out there that would allow me to open the doors on an armoire all the way so that they lie against the outside of the armoire? If not, are there other options? Thanks smile.gif

TimS

View PostTim,

Are the hinges that you have now a face mount?

No, presently they are inside hinges and the doors only open to slightly less than 180 - I'm looking for 270.

KoQ, I did loads of Google searching smile.gif The problem with this piece is the face frame is 2 3/4" wide - I've found hinges that would work if the face frame was 3/4", but nothing close to covering the 2 3/4" I need redface.gif

TimS

Do the doors sit flush with the face frame or on top of it?

270° as in putting the doors against the sides of the cabinet? Most cases this is accomplished by allowing the face frame to turn 180° or so and then the door turn the remainder. I don't know of any hinges that can accomplish this across 2 3/4" face frame width.

You might be able to do this with a series of hinges and a vertical piece of wood that remains hidden behind the face frame. When you want the doors to open all the way to 270° the vertical piece of wood comes out to the face frame and to give the extra 90° of motion.

P.S. - Hold "alt" and then type "2 4 8" on the numeric keypad to get the ° symbol.

sounds like your doors are flush inset style, meaning in line with the face frame with a small gap all around, not overlay. Now you wish to make them overlay in order to open them all the way around the sides correct? I think your best bet would be to get a set of pocket door hardware, add some blocking as needed inside and make your doors into pocket doors. I assume this is to allow for a TV maybe??? if so you might have some trouble with width, because the hardware plus the doors takes up about 3-1/2" depending on the brand.

2-3/4" is most likely not doable for a 270 degree hinge you're looking for. It would have to be something special or even custom made, probably with 2 separate pivot points.

Thanks Russ and Slipknot - it looks like there's gonna be some extra work involved smile.gif The pocket door solution is gonna be up against cutting about 1/2 the face frame and putting hinges on it to make it part of the door. The pocket door solution sounds like it might be easier - and the doors, when inside, would cover the blocking used to make the hardware flush with the 2 3/4" face.

Thanks again guys for all your help icon14.gif Bruce, if I ever figure out how to make money with this website, I'm gonna have you make some cabinets for my kitchen smile.gif

TimS

View PostCan you add an astragal to the doors?

That way you could kick them out

Without going to Google, I have no idea what an astragal is - anything like a female astronaut? wink.gif

View PostWithout going to Google, I have no idea what an astragal is - anything like a female astronaut? wink.gif

No, But close. It gets fixed on one door edge and covers the gap to the other, so you can space the doors out. But the more I think about it, Why not add a center rail in the same wood? If the doors don't have a radius top it might work and then you could push the doors to the outer edgecwm40.gif

In order to get the doors to open as you describe the hinge pin has to be located on the corner of the armoire. Otherwise you need a 2 piece door with a special hinge.

Might consider it ugly as sin but you could probably find something that works in shutter hardware. Surface mounted straps and pintels, with strap extending over the face frame and pintels at or near the outside corner.

View PostNo, But close. It gets fixed on one door edge and covers the gap to the other, so you can space the doors out. But the more I think about it, Why not add a center rail in the same wood? If the doors don't have a radius top it might work and then you could push the doors to the outer edgecwm40.gif

Cause a center rail would seriously degrade the TV viewing experience wink.gif

I'm gonna look up this astragal thing, it sounds interesting smile.gif

TimS

View PostIn order to get the doors to open as you describe the hinge pin has to be located on the corner of the armoire. Otherwise you need a 2 piece door with a special hinge.

This is exactly the reality that I have begun to face smile.gif Can't find anything to cover the 2 3/4" face to put the hinge on the corner, so it's gonna be either a 2 piece door or pocket doors as Slipknot suggested above.

TimS