Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roverback65

Ugly Stick Tiger 10 - 50lbs line 2-6oz

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have 3 combos right now:

- 9' St. Croix Travel w/ Penn ssg550 for surf (plugs)

- 8' Airwave 2-piece w/ Stradic 5000 with 30lbPP B

- 7' Tidemaster w/ 360 Slammer with 20lb PP B

I am thinking about a much stronger rod for the occasional bridge and Jetty fishing. The Airwave is rated for 3oz but that is really pushing it. I may sell it and find a stronger bridge rod that will probably take more of a beating and hold a much heavier rig. I spoke to a local shop up in Boston who has a 7' Ugly Stick Tiger rated to 6oz (10-50). Does anyone have experience with this rod? I believe in quality but will sacrifice a bit for a rod this small with a lot of backbone and it will probably get beaten up a bit. I need something that will cast a bit but the predominate use will be dropping off bridges. piers and throwing in tough conditions. Do I sell the Airwave? Will the Stradic do with this rod or should I sell that too? Finally, is their a better quality rod out there with the same size and backbone that would be a better bet?

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 of the 7' Tigers, 2 mediums and a medium heavy. I use them for catfishing here in Oklahoma. I like the mediums better than the med/hvy. The med/hvy seems too stiff for what I use them for. I'm sure it would be perfect for pier fishing. I mount Abu 7000's on my Tiger rods and use a 4 oz. weight to cast. I get good distance with this setup. They are my favorite rods. FISH ON, Doug