How long have you "smoked"

Rate this topic

I've been smoking meat for about 6 years. I started out with an ECB (el cheapo brinkman), which was a study in futility and humility. Then 2 years ago I bought the 22.5 WSM. I use the WSM all year round and also compete in competitions with it.

I've cooked pork ribs, beef ribs, pork shoulder and pork butt, fish, chicken, turkey, beef brisket, ABT's, prime rib (wife wasn't to happy but it came out awesome! "do it again!" she says) wink.gif

Chuck roast, Eye of round (special care needs to be taken so as not to dry it out)

About 20 years the hard way, open smoker and shoveling hot coals to feed it. Couple blissful years with the drum and one with a wsm

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostI'd love having a huge open pit. Just like those redneck Texans (no offensesmile.gif ) that burn wood outside of the pit and like you Jim, shovel it it. I think that is the bare roots of real BBQ.

It's what I learned and it was good. Unless the meat was directly over the coals and slowly spitting and hissing it wasn't going to be right. Charcoal and the minion method have saved me countless hours and cases of beer. Resisted the minion method for a while, that whole unburned charcoal in the smoker taboo. The guys that showed me how to bbq would be very diappointed in me should any of them still be alive.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostIt's what I learned and it was good. Unless the meat was directly over the coals and slowly spitting and hissing it wasn't going to be right. Charcoal and the minion method have saved me countless hours and cases of beer. Resisted the minion method for a while, that whole unburned charcoal in the smoker taboo. The guys that showed me how to bbq would be very diappointed in me should any of them still be alive.

If seasoned oak was cheap enough here in the NE, thats what I would be burning, right down to glowing embers and shoveling it in. But alas, Kingsford will have to do.

The minion is excellent for the overnight cooks (Boston butt or Brisket).

View PostI'm guessing about ten years now. Doing butts and briskets this weekend!drool.gif

I blew my wad in meat rations this month already. I did a 13lb brisket, 8lb pork butt, 4 racks of spares, 6 lbs of chicken thighs, 3 lbs of salmon...I'm spent. cwm27.gif

View PostI blew my wad in meat rations this month already. I did a 13lb brisket, 8lb pork butt, 4 racks of spares, 6 lbs of chicken thighs, 3 lbs of salmon...I'm spent. cwm27.gif

Stuff is high now. When I first started smoke'n, brisket was the cheapest thing in the market. Not anymore!confused.gif

Fly Tyin Nut!
David