Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Spare ribs vs babybacks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

This weekend, I bought a double rack of spare ribs. Did a YouTube, and finally learned how to cut/trim them. Up until now, I was smoking the entire rack, untrimmed, and it was ..................not up to par.shaky.gif

That's why I stuck with babybacks.

Trimmed up the spare ribs, cutting off the inside flap, then cutting the thick slab-o-pork located above the ribs. What I was left with was a beautiful rack of meaty ribs. Much heartier than babyback.

4 hours @ 225* over hickory (I was out of apple), 2 hours wrapped in foil in a 250* oven, then back in the smoker, ~1 hours slathered with bbq sauce, or until glazed.

They were special.drool.gif

Trimming spares that way is called the St. louis cut. Also remove the membrane that covers the underside. You can find out how to do that on you tube also. Its not that difficult really. I just work a butter knife underneath the membrane and by twisting the blade I open up a tunnel to slip my finger in and pull. The membrane comes right off.

I typically stick with loinback ribs which are baby backs in reality. You can get 3 racks weighing about 2.5# each at Costco for around $26.

I used to make my own rubs but found that spices are expensive. I will use commercial rubs and add to my liking. I use mustard, plain yellow or spicy brown as a slather before putting on the rub and I don't get heavy handed with the rub either (I like the taste of pork).

Bob I'm really happy for you man! Trimming spare ribs is fun. I'm sure the youtube videos showed you how to get the membrane off. If not I use paper towels as a grip to peel it off. Spare Ribs trimmed > baby backs. But honestly ribs are great in general. I've never smoked em before cuz I live in an apt so you smoker guys out there have it made! I still like my oven ribswink.gif

That skirt, flap and the top of the meat off the chine makes excellent ground pork. Use it almost every time in a pasta ragu but it's not bad to put the pieces on the with the ribs. Couple snacks and a hunk to put in your baked beans. You don't have to trim them but I think St Louis trim cook better. A lot of layers of fat on the chine bone that just never quite cooks out for me.

I like loin and spares both. Spares need a few more hours so sometimes it comes down to time available.

View PostThat skirt, flap and the top of the meat off the chine makes excellent ground pork. Use it almost every time in a pasta ragu but it's not bad to put the pieces on the with the ribs. Couple snacks and a hunk to put in your baked beans. You don't have to trim them but I think St Louis trim cook better. A lot of layers of fat on the chine bone that just never quite cooks out for me.

I like loin and spares both. Spares need a few more hours so sometimes it comes down to time available.

Do you trim the meat off the bone when making it for the sauce?

View PostDo you trim the meat off the bone when making it for the sauce?

Yes, what I can get. There is usally a layer on top that you can seperate from the fat and bone/cartiledge pretty easily. The rest gets made into a rich stock for the dog, think the collagen may be helping her joints.

Yep, I live in an apartment also but its a first floor level and I have a little patio That is big enough for my 22.5" WSM and my 5 burner gasser (and my little smokey joe) I have 22.5" Weber kettle too but that pretty much stays in storage because I use it for a back up during BBQ competitions.

View PostYes, what I can get. There is usally a layer on top that you can seperate from the fat and bone/cartiledge pretty easily. The rest gets made into a rich stock for the dog, think the collagen may be helping her joints.

I made some ragu the other day w/ short ribs and ground pancetta. Now I have an excuse to buy some untrimmed ribs. Break out the big knivessmile.gif

View PostI made some ragu the other day w/ short ribs and ground pancetta. Now I have an excuse to buy some untrimmed ribs. Break out the big knivessmile.gif

Excellent.

View PostBob I'm really happy for you man! Trimming spare ribs is fun. I'm sure the youtube videos showed you how to get the membrane off. If not I use paper towels as a grip to peel it off. Spare Ribs trimmed > baby backs. But honestly ribs are great in general. I've never smoked em before cuz I live in an apt so you smoker guys out there have it made! I still like my oven ribswink.gif

Thanks.wink.gif

I've been smoking babybacks for years, so I knew how to take that membrane off the back of the ribs.wink.gif It pulled off very easily from the spare ribs.

But that Youtube video was a real help.