Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robc22

Canal lobsters and the RR tracks

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Canal lobstering is so-so to good right now......as it often is this time of year........got a dozen or so keepers out of ten traps.....also caught numerous winter flounder and tautog......most of the lobsters were hard shell full of dense meat.......good stuff!!!!!....I also caught the usual shorts and eggers.......Just replaced my digital camera so I am able to take pics and post reports again.....I wonder if I will become a criminal in the future??? the man that crosses the RR tracks to check his lobster gear.........Growing up in bourne I never in a 100 years would of imgined of this kind of crap as a kid. I would have never belived there would ten thousand guys bass fishing the canal a day and half of them constanly on there cell phones sayin' " Yo where you at???".........on a feel good note....How about them Boston celtics.......Is it just me or is new england sports always in the finals somewhere, in some sport smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I haven't checked my traps in a week. I was doing OK. But I need to run to Ark Bait and get some bait. I'm out of bait! Would you ever think there would come a time when fish frames would be a precious commodity?

I know what you mean rob.shakehead.gif Back in the late 60's when I was a kid running around chasing squid and schoolies, I never imagined in my wildest dreams walking over the rr tracks would be an issue.

Cell phones.....mad.gif Guys are on the constantly. In between casts, on their bikes, from their cars. I'm next to this guy this AM, and he's retreiving his plug, and talking on his cell, holding his cell phone to his ear with his shoulder. A canal multi-task.kooky.gif

You should enjoy those lobsters the rest of this year since they are going to ban lobstering from mass to north carolina next year saw it on the news the other night.

As a kid born in a fishing village in NW England and transported to Canada in 58 and been fishing the Ditch since 66 I feel for you. I have hauled traps, dug shellfish, trolled mackerel and jigged flounder with the locals as if I was their son. Spent my fair share of time on the rip rap. It was always - take your chances, learn from your experiences and apply the knowledge the next day. These days with cell phones and the internet people want to be on it right now and home in half an hour with a trophy. If we hunt down all the fish in real time there will be none left. What ever happened to sport instead of exploitation, and more importantly whatever happened to the sense of sportsmanship.

Regards

Puck

View PostYou should enjoy those lobsters the rest of this year since they are going to ban lobstering from mass to north carolina next year saw it on the news the other night.

Well.....not really.headscratch.gif

The ban (if it happens) is going to take place from Buzzards Bay------->south. Cape Cod Bay------>north is considered part of the Gulf of Maine, and that fishery will remain open.

BTW, just in case you're wondering, the canal is lobster zone #1, which is part of the Gulf of Maine, so it should remaion open.wink.gif

View PostWell.....not really.headscratch.gif

The ban (if it happens) is going to take place from Buzzards Bay------->south. Cape Cod Bay------>north is considered part of the Gulf of Maine, and that fishery will remain open.

BTW, just in case you're wondering, the canal is lobster zone #1, which is part of the Gulf of Maine, so it should remaion open.wink.gif

Ya......canal is considered part of the gulf of maine for fisheries management. This includes lobster, winter flounder and the very elusive canal codfish............

Hey wait, did somebody get a ticket for taking lobsters from the railbed? Oh man, what's next????

Just making fun. Fact is everyday / year something is taken away from US. It just depends on wheter you are part of US to care or realize it! Today it's CCC, then lobsters, then the birds etc. etc etc..............cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif

View PostWell.....not really.headscratch.gif

Well thats good to hear. I feel bad if this passes all the fisherman that are going to be out of work which would really blow. Just another hit the hard working person is going to face while the politicians sit in washington taking bribes

No bands? You are a risk taker I guess. Granted that I have to grab them out of a live well, but I would never consider throwing them in there without bands. Not only are you risking fingers, but they will kill each other.

Maybe it is just because all of mine go into a 30 gallon live well and I have to grab them out of there at the end of the day. They are pretty damn fast in their own element (the live well).

View PostMaybe it is just because all of mine go into a 30 gallon live well and I have to grab them out of there at the end of the day. They are pretty damn fast in their own element (the live well).

Guys who lobster the canal don't have livewells.......the lobsters go into a tote or fish basket lined with rockweed.......