Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Inline engines' pollution characteristics

9 posts in this topic

A question, that popped into my head for no discernable reason.

The most conspicuous inline engine in this country was probably the straight 6 that Jeep dropped some years ago. I comprehend some of the problems of the inline engine (length, for one). Here's a different one ... is an inline engine any more or less difficult, for pollution-control-engineering purposes, then a V-block design? Did that have anything to do with the apparent demise of automotive inline engines in this country?

Just curious. Gearheads to the fore!

I think it does have more to with length issues. With modern designs on newer vehicles with stumpy hoods and smaller engine bays I don't see why emissions would be an engineering problem, as it would be same as an in line 4 just with two more cylinders. How ever VW solved the length issue with the VR6 which posses another question would you consider a VR6 an in line or V-motor? The cylinders are opposed 15 degrees and no valley (single head).

I share the opinion that the bigger inline engines are gone because of the lack of engine compartment space. However, don't forget that the Cummins diesel in the Dodge 2500/3500 is an inline engine and it does meet the EPA pollution requirements.

Getting very specific, I don't think a carburetor-fed, single manifold, inline six cylinder would meet emissions requirements today. Cylinders 1 and 6 suffer from fuel-to-air ratio deficiencies as a result of location. Thus the engine would need a decent amount of exhaust treatment measures.

Likewise, an inline six cylinder engine fed with a throttle body plenum and individual cylinder fuel injection would have a similar level of difficulty as many v-block engines when trying to meet emissions standards.

Although there is more to this than just emissions. What I notice is the v-block engines that replaced the inline six engines from Ford and Jeep are a smaller displacement. Smaller displacement in both of these cases contributes to less fuel consumption and higher MPG ratings.

It is packaging, not pollution that has killed most inline 6s. Note that BMW still uses inline 6s, but almost all BMWs are rear wheel drive, with a longitudinal engine.

These days, most small and midsize sedans are front-wheel drive, with transverse engines. Six cylinder inline engines are difficult to package this way (though Volvo has done it).

For trucks and SUVs, an inline 6 is longer than a V8, requiring a longer hood for crush space.

It is too bad, because inline 6s have better vibration characteristics than V6s.

As said, they do exists in BMW, but with rear wheel drive. I have a VW Jetta Sportwagen and it has a transverse mounted inline 5. So there are other options and combination. VW has some interesting engine, including their W's

I'd agree with the others that it is space. I think you can engineer a well designed diesel or gasoline turbo charged 4 and get similar performance as a 6 in a smaller and lighter package. So it may have been a practical decision too.

--Pete

View PostA question, that popped into my head for no discernable reason.

The most conspicuous inline engine in this country was probably the straight 6 that Jeep dropped some years ago. I comprehend some of the problems of the inline engine (length, for one). Here's a different one ... is an inline engine any more or less difficult, for pollution-control-engineering purposes, then a V-block design? Did that have anything to do with the apparent demise of automotive inline engines in this country?

Just curious. Gearheads to the fore!

Interesting answers; thank you.

I assume that the world's remaining I-6 engines are all fuel-injected and 4-valve affairs. Of the remaining I-6 engines, is there one that is, by consensus, the technology leader?

View PostInteresting answers; thank you.

I assume that the world's remaining I-6 engines are all fuel-injected and 4-valve affairs. Of the remaining I-6 engines, is there one that is, by consensus, the technology leader?

BMW. You can argue whether it is their twin-turbo inline-6 or their new single turbo inline-6.

Gm had the 4.2 in the trailblazer and they still have that straight 5 that's in the H3 and little pickups. Volvo has a straight 5 or least they used to. I think the little land rover (lr2) has a straight 6 too. Yeah it's definitely the length that killed it as cars got smaller. I think they might be a little heavier too but not sure.