Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plugchucka

new guy help

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

ive been a member of the site for a few years now and im pretty sure ive never visited this part of the site before.im a little overwhelmed.. . heres my issue. my wife likes fish ,im not a huge fan. this morning i got a decent fish that inhaled the plug ,was bleeding profusely and didnt look like it stood much of a chance of survival ,so i took it home, carved it up the best i could(wasted a bunch of useable meat im sure). put it in an aluminum pan wit butter and broken up ritz crackersand now im left with kind of a mush of buttery crackered slop that she aint gonna eat. for future reference...., where would you guys steer a total newb to filleting, preparing and cooking . its almost embarassing as long as ive been fishing for stripers ive never really learned to clean one properly let alone cook it. when i get a legal fish that appears to be doomed ,i can usually find a taker for it. but id like to be able to confidently grill it myself. ps is the red meat ok or do you discard it ? thanx

Cleaning and filleting isn't that difficult. After a few times you'll get the hang of it. Look on you tube or google. The red meat (depending on species) is ok to eat. Not all fish is white meat.

Can't help you with advice on the cutting...I'm a bit of a hack myself. smile.gif One thing you could do, if your skills are that lacking, is bring the fish to a monger and they might whack it for you for a couple bucks tip. You could also run down to the marina and throw a couple bucks to a mate.

As to preparation, good Lord, the sky is the limit.

If you've got a nice striper filet, one of the easiest methods is to grill it and serve with a sauce, something as simple as a jar of store bought pesto would even work.

Preheat your grill till it's smoking hot and make sure your grates are clean and lubricated. Season the fish with salt and pepper and grill for 2 minutes each side and serve with the pesto on the side, some veggie and rice.

BUUUUUT....if you get a whole striper and are looking for an outstanding method, try salt dome. Do a search here and google. Way cool.

There are a few ways to cut a bass...the party boat mates generally take 2 swipes wit the knife starting from behind the gill plate. I've found this to be a pain and wasteful. The spine behind the neck is toughest to cut its very rigid and hard and will make ur knife dull. I make two cuts one behind the gills and another running straight up and down across the tail right to the bone. Slip ur blade through that incision and work ur way up to the head along the back using the stripes as a a guide. U can feel around for the spine also and keep the kife level wit the spine. Getting the rib cage area to seperate is tricky but u basically keep slicing it until it breaks free of the bone.

thanks a lot guys,as i said i mostly release my fish unless they arent going to make it . i searched around this forum and found some good stuff. after i posted my question last night i sat down and had some of my striper mush ,and couldnt believe how good it was cold with salad. thanks again for the repliesclapping.gif