Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mizzle

Rod recommendation @ CT coast

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am looking for a decent surf rod pairing with my new Z22 as my main plug fishing gear @ westen CT coast. I heard lots of good things about St Corix legend series but not quite sure which rod I should go with, 9' 3/4~4oz 10' 1~4oz or 10.5' 3/4~4oz.

I mainly throw some metal lips, spooks, poppers, tins, bucktails around 1.5oz ~ 3oz. I prefer 10.5' rod but my concern is if 10.5'

rod is too long for CT coast and if I will easily get tired with it for couple of hours casting? should I choose the shorter one?

Any input will be grateful.

Hey I have the 3/4-4 9ft, hardcore has the 1-4 9ft and the 3/4-4 10.6 legend. You can try them all next time we go out. For CT I think the 9ft is plenty, the 22 matches both well.

Winston

Thanks buddy, how is going recently? Got any blue? I went fresh water fishing a lot these 2 weeks and did not try Housi again. Let me know when you guys will go out fishing next time.smile.gif

David

View PostHey I have the 3/4-4 9ft, hardcore has the 1-4 9ft and the 3/4-4 10.6 legend. You can try them all next time we go out. For CT I think the 9ft is plenty, the 22 matches both well.

Winston

I have a 22 on a 7' star plasma rod for plugging the sound from shore and my little tin can i find a 7' rod is plenty in CT.

I see alot of guys fishing a 10' rod in the areas i fish and i think to myself i sold my 9' st.croix because all i need for what i'm doing is a 7' i still have a 10' st. croix hanging on my garage wall with no reel on it.

Before i bought the star rod my go to set up for plugging was a 7' tica with a 710z

Doing wel,l got some huge blues and small ones too at West Haven. Hardcore got a huge gator blue a while back.

Got the 150 gold to go with the 9ft legend so it should be sweet.wink.gif

Come on by and try them out, each person has a different preference

so this is your shot at getting it right before buying one.

View PostMizzle, I think a 9' is the right size for plugging Ct waters.

agreed..8's and 9's are good here.

Just curious as to why this thread is not in the Ct. forum.

8" or 9". I don't throw a 10" more than 1 or 2 per year and usually when I want to just try some of the my bigger plugs. I usually use a lami 1804.

Thanks for editing the post. No need to be spot specific.

Thanks everyone's input.

The other thing I prefer 10.5' rod is that I am using 9' airwave now. Although this rod is only cost me 100 bucks, it is also pretty light and cast very far, and handles 1/2oz ~ 2.5 oz plugs very well. I relly like it and dont want to get it retired so soon. smile.gif