Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chief2

Weakfish in the Bays?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

View Postone fish limit, why waste your time targeting them. if i happen to catch one i am only going to release it anyway.

Because they were a great sport fish on light tackle. Just because they are edible (barely IMO) doesn't mean you have to keep them. IMO we shouldn't allowed to be able to keep any until more info their stocks is available. To the op I have only heard rumors of them in bb this year

Harlequin, thanks. I agree, they are a great fish, and IMO a great eating fish once you get through the bones. I love catching them, and with the stripers starting to move on, am looking to target another species. IMO bluefish are only fun for so long. Thanks for the insight.

I agree. they should just shut down the fishery. Weakies were my favorite game fish, but I have gave up on them in the last 2 years. i wouldnt keep one if I had the chance. Just close it. What good is one fish anyway.

Did very well with them last spring in the river with my best catches at 11, 12 and 13 lbs. which were all released but this year back to the same area and not a fish to be had--run in cycles and with the studies showing the increase in their mortality it may be a while before it picks up again.

We caught them all fall last year in Barnegat Bay. Never kept anything smaller than 15". They showed up in Fortescue for 2 weeks. Nice 20 and up, but after that run, gone again. I agree they should shut it down for a few years. What's the point with a 1 fish limit?

What's the point of a 1 fish limit for weakfish and with that thought in mind what about a 2 fish limit for winter flounder, a 2 fish limit for striped bass, a 1 fish limit (seasonal) for blackfish, etc.?

View PostWhat's the point of a 1 fish limit for weakfish and with that thought in mind what about a 2 fish limit for winter flounder, a 2 fish limit for striped bass, a 1 fish limit (seasonal) for blackfish, etc.?

good point! Yea I used to have the weakfish pattern down like a pro. I would show up every year in front of point pleasant hospital usually in mid august and catch the weakies like crazy at dusk, same with the mantoloking bridge (caught my best there 9lber). i did the same pattern the last few years and struck out. I did fish less often though the past 2 years. Last summer there was a day on the surf I was catching weakies 2 at a time every cast. probably landed about 30-50 12 inch spikes. I thought it was a great sign....I guess not. They probably all got netted up the next day.