Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bac0701

hobie wheel upgrades >?

14 posts in this topic

View Postany upgrade the tires on their carts,? the black plastic ones stink.... i saw some upgrades with power wheel tires and roleez. any one have pics?

Theee is nothing wrong with the black rubber wheels when used as intended which is for hard surfaces. We have sold hundreds over 5 years and have seen zero failures. The roleez wheel does not work as good on hard surfaces and can get a leak from all the sharp objects on pavement. The axle is not long enough to add wheeleez. Its a different frame. You can get some wheelbarrow tires at harbour frieght.

I bought the wheels at the same time I purchased my Outback last year. Took it to the Cape and HATED the wheels when pulling it through the sand. This year they were perfect for getting the kayak across the huge parking lot at the Jamaica Bay tournament. Since then, I have been thinking about how to modify the axle assemby so that I could change the wheels as conditions require. I refuse to buy the entire fat wheel cart. I can't figure out why the designers didn't make a cart with both sets of wheels. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hobie and feel that they are on top of the heap with kayaks, but feel that they could spend a bit more time and effort on their accessories.

I am thinking of making a sleeve that would fit over the axle to allow me to use the wheelez wheels. Anyone create something like this already?

View PostI bought the wheels at the same time I purchased my Outback last year. Took it to the Cape and HATED the wheels when pulling it through the sand. This year they were perfect for getting the kayak across the huge parking lot at the Jamaica Bay tournament. Since then, I have been thinking about how to modify the axle assemby so that I could change the wheels as conditions require. I refuse to buy the entire fat wheel cart. I can't figure out why the designers didn't make a cart with both sets of wheels. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hobie and feel that they are on top of the heap with kayaks, but feel that they could spend a bit more time and effort on their accessories.

I am thinking of making a sleeve that would fit over the axle to allow me to use the wheelez wheels. Anyone create something like this already?

Thats a no brainer, It would cost $300 if they tried to design a cart with two sets of wheels and some type of telecoping axle. My shop is one block from the beach and I fish the beach often and I use the standard cart because I find it easier to just drag the yak across the soft sand. Its only about 50 yards from the hard to the water. Of course if you have a much longer beach then you need the rolleez or suprisingly large diameter bicyle tires roll as well as rolleez acrosss soft sand even though they are 2 inches wide.

I use the Hobie Trax II cart with the tougher polyurethane Wheelez tires. They are much tougher than the regular Wheelez tires but still float on sand nicely. I use it on all terrains: parking lots, gravel, dirt, grass, sand, mud, whatever. smile.gif

View PostThats a no brainer, It would cost $300 if they tried to design a cart with two sets of wheels and some type of telecoping axle. My shop is one block from the beach and I fish the beach often and I use the standard cart because I find it easier to just drag the yak across the soft sand. Its only about 50 yards from the hard to the water. Of course if you have a much longer beach then you need the rolleez or suprisingly large diameter bicyle tires roll as well as rolleez acrosss soft sand even though they are 2 inches wide.

You wouldn't need a telecoping axle, just one that is a little longer. you could drill 2 sets of holes in the axle, one set for each thickness of wheel, then use a hair clip pin ( like the ones for reciever hitch pins). Wheels off an old power wheels jeep would work great for all around wheels, they are wide, hard, and light weight

View PostYou wouldn't need a telecoping axle, just one that is a little longer. you could drill 2 sets of holes in the axle, one set for each thickness of wheel, then use a hair clip pin ( like the ones for reciever hitch pins). Wheels off an old power wheels jeep would work great for all around wheels, they are wide, hard, and light weight

Or just a longer axle with spacer bushing for the narrower wheel's. biggrin.gif

View PostYou wouldn't need a telecoping axle, just one that is a little longer. you could drill 2 sets of holes in the axle, one set for each thickness of wheel, then use a hair clip pin ( like the ones for reciever hitch pins). Wheels off an old power wheels jeep would work great for all around wheels, they are wide, hard, and light weight

Point is no one would pay those kind of prices. By offering two carts you let the customer decide wether or not he wants to pay double for the Rollez wheel system.

Do you already own the cart ? Maybe consider selling it and buying one with larger tires? Like Barrel said it is fine for what it is designed for; hard surfaces.

I have the heavy duyt cart and it works good. Not perfect in soft sand but does ok. Does great on hard surfaces. So it is a compromise for me.

View PostPoint is no one would pay those kind of prices. By offering two carts you let the customer decide wether or not he wants to pay double for the Rollez wheel system.

With the longer axle and bushings you would only have to pay for one cart. Then you could purchase the larger tires if you wanted. You should save money because you would not need to buy a complete separate cart.

I just think there is a way Hobie could do it so it is cost effective for both them and there customers.

In looking at the carts on the Hobie website, it appears that the wheelez equiped carts have a longer axle. It would be easy to drill a hole where you want the cotter pin to go through to anchor the skinny plastic wheels. So, a word to the wise, it might be better to buy the cart with the sand wheels and then order the pavement tires seperately.

I am thinking about making out of derlin an assembly that would slide over the steel axle of the cart that the wheelez wheel would rotate on. I will keep you posted........