Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whopper Bubba

Steelies Biting

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Good news: Got 3 steelies on Oregon's No Santiam today.

Bad news: Released them all cause they were too dark.

Good news: Summer steelies arrive in a month.

Better news: The Spring salmon will be in my favorite holes in 1-2 weeks.

I need to hit Crane Prarie. I live out in the NF betwixt Sisters and Bend on a horse ranch. Haven't hit Crane in Years but have a need too.

I have a friend in Mill City on the NSantiam who was a guide part time with a drift boat but he works too hard as an electrician to get away much. As a result, I know the river upriver for bank fishing. I fish above the hatchery for the hatchery steelies that get by the trap. But there are some good places down river that see few fishermen. Another week and the salmon will be there. I also like the Pacific City/Tillamook area. Tillamook "area" is no burn to out of area folks as it has about 4 rivers flowing into the bay. I like going over to crab and clam as it pays for the trip then the salmon/steelhead are extras. PM me if you want to hit Crane.

View PostGood news ... just got home from tillamock area and the springs were chrome and biting.

Bad news .... everyone is there now

Are you fishing in the bay or in the Trask?

I fish the Nestucca and feeder streams a bit further to the South for the most part. I also hit Netarts for clams and Sand Island for salmon and flounder and crab. I love the lower Nestucca for crab, but wipe out my motor's impeller too often getting down to the mouth with the shallow sandy areas. I like several spots on the ocean in that area for perch and flounder, but it seems every time I go over, the surf is up and surf fishing is out. I like the point area at Pacific City for crab and rock fish. I take a second pole and some throw away line...use a heavy sinker and tie some bait in the line bundle. The Dungeness get their legs and claws tied up in the line. I pull it in every 15 minutes or so. You can usually see them "biting" the bait. At the same time, I am fishing for ling cod, "bass", sea trout, or salmon with my other pole. I only use a "heavy" steelie rod about 9' but use 10 pound braid with 20# mono to take the whip and a 2oz Crippled Herring. Casts like a bullet and I get a surprizing number of salmon while others are fishing close in for various rock fish.

The trouble is trying to figure which to do as I usually only do an over nighter as finding someone to feed the horses while I'm gone is tough.