Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperZ

mambo minnow mania

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

After the morning chores, and cleaning the boat, I decided to test the new knots I tied. Fish caught, knots adjusted, hate what I tried.

I left the Pamet at 11:00 am and hit wood end around 11:30. The tide was moving fast. I slowed down to adjust my equipment and started marking fish. Threw a jig with a sluggo, and came up blue on the first cast. The first fish over the gunnel was a 30", 8lb blue, mean as can be. I almost wanted to keep his butt just to make sure he did not destroy any more baits, but I was feeling merciful and he went back to the deep.

I was heading for 'Damiens Pride', but I spied a whole lot of Striped Bass pushing water and jumping for bait. I stopped and set up a drift right past them. I tried a green needlefish, and the bass just scattered. I tried a mackerel popper, same effect. The fish were moving slower than the drift, so I had to reset a few times. I tried a mambo minnow, shallow dive, and blam! Every cast, a beefy bass. The two I measured were 40" and 38", one was really heavy. I caught 20-25 fish on the mambo minnow in 2.5 hours, I had to retie the leader twice, because the bass's sandpaper lips where shredding the 50lb leader. Here are the best pics.

June14th_4.png

After having a bass just swallow the double treble hooks, I removed the center treble. The bass went cuckoo for a mambo minnow

June14th_3.png

Nice report. How did the hooks hold up on the mambo or should I say the mambo itself? Im asking because I had the tail hook pulled right out of the plastic on one the other day. The plastic actually split at the tail end. Was into a blitz of the same size fish and was wondering if maybe something bigger was on when this happened.smile.gif

My yellow mambo minnow is holding up well. I checked the hook connections on all my mambos and they seem OK. I removed the center treble and just left the tail treble after a major lure swallow and botched surgery on a 30 incher, it really sucked it down far. The fish were jumping to get the bait.

How did I burn the spot?

Not sure about the spot burn. Maybe by the picture wink.gif. I guess the names mentioned in the post were a bit to specific. Must be a small ocean out that way. Anyways it looks like you had yourself a great day out there. I've already purchased a couple more of the mambos. They are one of my favorite lures to fish.

View PostInstead of Specific spots say um....Cape Cod Bay......cwm40.gif

Better yet just say the Atlantic Ocean cwm40.gif. I'm not familiar with the size of the area mentioned so I should probably butt out of this conversation. StriperZ is a fairly new member and probably could have been directed to the sticky at the top about fishing locations and what the owner of the site deems acceptable in relation to spot burning. Instead he gets a 2 word post followed by a degrading symbol and is left wondering what he did that ticked someone off.