Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RI: best part of CT

my fathers day present

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

View PostVery nice looking. My only problem would be I'd need about 20 or 30 of those to accommodate all the stuff i have!shakehead.gifcwm27.gif

Enjoy it really looks sweet.

clapping.gif Agreed!!! plus I'd have to keep opening all the drawers to find where I put all that stuff.It is a really nice cabinet and I hope you enjoy it.

If you take all of the producing flies you use constantly then used only those materials you wouldn't need a more or bigger. I moved to a smaller apt and had to get down to what works and what doesn't, what I tye with and what I have. Well I have lots of stuff that I never use and some material I just don't like to work with at all. We as fly tyers collect too much I think, it's like the "flavor of the day" and we just have to have it...I guilty as the next guy but I'm working on my problem.cwm27.gif

View PostIf you take all of the producing flies you use constantly then used only those materials you wouldn't need a more or bigger. I moved to a smaller apt and had to get down to what works and what doesn't, what I tye with and what I have. Well I have lots of stuff that I never use and some material I just don't like to work with at all. We as fly tyers collect too much I think, it's like the "flavor of the day" and we just have to have it...I guilty as the next guy but I'm working on my problem.cwm27.gif

I donated alot of materials to local kids getting into tying. I accumulated alot of materials over the years, had issues with storage, and then said screw it. If I don't use it, I don't keep it.

I know it's somewhat limited spacewise - but it's intended for use in our camper. It'll hold enough for the warm water flies I tie for use there and I can close it up, lock it and stow it away when the grandkids come and my fly tying room reverts to it's natural state as the kid's room of the camper.

It sure is a pretty piece of equipment, and it sounds like it will suit your needs well icon14.gif .

I think I am getting a tie redface.gif .

Alan

My late friend Frank Cabral made one for me in the early 1970s("the upper half"). Later on I purchased one for work. What it is machinist toolbox but it makes a great portable flytying material storage box. The one that Frank built had a 1/4" piece of plywood that slide outward from the top to clamp my C-Clamp Crest Vice to.

That is a real nice set up. A friend of mine uses one like that, and he takes it to tying shows to tie from. I have a big plastic toolbox for that, but it won't hold all the stuff I need. Those boxes like you are getting used to be cheap, until I guess fly tyers found out about them. You used to get them at Harbor Freight for about 50-60 bucks. NOT ANYMORE though...frown.gif

Happy Fathers Day to all the guys here.

View PostThat is a real nice set up. A friend of mine uses one like that, and he takes it to tying shows to tie from. I have a big plastic toolbox for that, but it won't hold all the stuff I need. Those boxes like you are getting used to be cheap, until I guess fly tyers found out about them. You used to get them at Harbor Freight for about 50-60 bucks. NOT ANYMORE though...frown.gif

Happy Fathers Day to all the guys here.

Grizzly tools carries some less expensive versions in oak veneer over ply wood. Mine is made out of solid American red oak.