Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elee

Silversides

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Fly fished the mouth of the Piscataqua yesterday, lots of bass feeding on huge schools of silversides. Has anyone here ever tried eating them? That may sound stupid, but as a kid in England, whitebait was among my favorite foods. For those of you who are not familiar with whitebait, it is little 2-4" saltwater fish deep fried whole and served with lemon wedges. Like fish french fries. Absolutely delicious! I bet silversides would be just as good. A dusting of flour, a little salt and pepper, then right into 375 degree oil for about a minute....Surely some adventurous member here has given it a shot? If not then perhaps I shall be the first if can net a bunch next weekend!

Elee

We call them "Spearing" and you are correct, they are DELICIOUS!

Go to a Bay beach, start your charcoal, bring a Wok with oil.

Go wade with a seine net, scoop up hundreds at a time, remove the big ones, anything over...3 inches, and dump the rest into hot oil. When they are golden brown, drain them on paper towels just like french fries.

They taste like fish and chips rolled into one, you don't even need salt....they just came from saltwater! Absolutely delicious.

The reason that you remove the big ones is that they won't cook at the same rate as the others.....raw Spearing is GROSS. But Fluke don't think so, so you don't have to waste the big ones!

No disrespect to the Asians, but "fresh" is measured in MINUTES.

You won't find "fresh" anywhere but the sea.

Try what I told you, it certainly won't be a one-time thing!

There is an Italian joint by my work that sells fried spearing. I'm not a seafood guy (ill take a burger or pb&j over a lobster or tuna anyday) but they aren't to shabby with a side of marinara sauce.