Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muscella

Bait Recommendations

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I will be down just outside of OC with the family next week and will be fishing with my 10 year old son alot from the Castaways campground, walking out on the beach and all around depending on the tides and where we can get to. Any ideas on bait and what i can help my son get into while fishing? I was hoping to have him catch a few flatties regardless of size, he has not caught one yet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like kingfish are in.

Great for kids b/c you can use lighter tackle than most surf casting. Bloodworms or fishbites bloodworms work well. Cast just beyond the breakers or right into them.

Fun and tasty.

I've never done well on flounder in the surf, but there is a good thread with advice from a little more than a week ago if you search around a bit.

I saw that link, not sure if i will get out on the ocean, mostly fishing south of the OC inlet in the bay. Feeback appreciated, i am already stocked with bloodworm fishbites..... will pick up some of the live ones too

I fished off the Castaway's fishing pier last fall for about an hour. All I can tell you is, it was VERY shallow. We caught a few spot on real small hooks baited with blood worms, then used them for bait at AI. If you hit it at high tide you may have some luck, but I think you can find some better places than the campground. The Rt. 50 bridge will be pretty close to you.

Stop in at Harbor Tackle and talk to Bev, she'll point you in the right direction.

Castaway's has an exposed sandbar at low tide that is within casting range of the channel. I would think that Gulp Swimming Mullet, minnows or squid could produce a flounder. I would try to go early before the boats get on the water as the bar is very close to the channel. You also might want to ask for directions on how to get out to the bar for safety sake but you will definitely see it at low tide....it is very popular with the campers.

fish that skinny water when the tide is up and moving or when the light is low. Also, keep an eye out in the bay, you are almost guaranteed to see someone run a $100,000 boat up on that bar.

thanks for the tips... sounds like fishing for bait and then take a quick ride to rt 50 bridge and/or AI, will try the shoal for flounder, sure son will have fun no matter what we catch. I will have my surf rods too, so a walk on the beach sounds pretty good. Toes will be in the sand and that's all that matters.

if your fishing the beachfront...use small pieces of shrimp and cap them with shrimp fishbites....ended up with alot of kings (whiting) the other day. When they are there, they can be thick and fun to catch...great table fare too!

Didn't get a chance to get to the beachfront, but we had a blast fishing on the sandbar and spent most of our time chasing crabs.... kids had a blast and that is all that matters..... thanks again for tips