Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Guru

Finally heading to the East coast!! Help please?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Friday was my 30th and my fiance surprised me with an oppurtunity to do something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm a west coast guy who fishes hardcore for inland stripers and have been just dying to go back East to fish the coast, it just didn't look to be in the cards in the near future. I have enough wood, bucktails and metals to last a few seasons on the coast and recently got a couple of nice surf sticks so I think I'm fairly ready equipment wise. plus, i'm strictly a catch and release guy who's able to keep good things quiet.

She blew me away on Friday night with two open ended plane tickets back east to go fish the coast for 4-7 days!! My dream has come true, now i'm just trying to figure out when would be the best time to head back and when.

This is my first trip and may be the last for a while so I really want to maximize this one. If anyone can help me with some ideas as to where to go and when, I would be so appreciative. I'm leaning towards sometime in the fall, but am open to any time this year. Thanks in advance guys!

View PostFriday was my 30th and my fiance surprised me with an oppurtunity to do something I've wanted to do for a while.

I thought this was heading in a whole different direction.

If you're talking about Long Island (whoops......spotburning again!) October is absolutely correct! If you're talking about Cape Cod, perhaps September would be a better time.......if you're talking about the Outer Banks.....well you get the idea.

Likle the man said, "East Coast" is a big place!

View Postwhere are you planning on going? The east coast is pretty big.

I have nothing planned yet, I'm just trying to find the best area where I can get into some large, and it looks like sometime in the fall will work out the best. I'm hoping that after a bunch of suggestions/reccomendations I'll be able to narrow it down and make a decision.

It's funny, I thought I knew enough about the fishery to make it happen until the oppurtunity suddenly presented itself, I realized that i know very little about the east coast fishery( especially the where's and whens).

View PostIf you're talking about Long Island (whoops......spotburning again!) October is absolutely correct! If you're talking about Cape Cod, perhaps September would be a better time.......if you're talking about the Outer Banks.....well you get the idea.

Likle the man said, "East Coast" is a big place!

All of those sound excellent, I just can't decide which area to focus on. That being said, your post has already helped me narrow things down significantly. this is overwhelming at the moment, I'm so excited about this that i don't know where to begin. For some reason RI has always appealed to me, but am also interested in checking out Cape cod and or Montauk. September would be my first choice of times to go, then August and then october in that order. Equipment wise I think I am pretty set, the only thing that i don't have yet is some korkers( they are in the works). I'm running a 9' 3/4-4 legend and a 10'6 1/2-3 Loomis with non dunkable shimanos to give an idea of what tackle I have if that helps narrow things down to areas that my gear can handle

Do any of you guys ever take your rods on the plane? I'm kind of nervous about that and was thinking I would just ship them out there seperately to ensure that they don't get damaged, but not sure if it's neccessary.

For scheduling purposes it looks like anytime in August or the last two weeks of september through the first couple of weeks of october will work the best. I'm looking for the best oppurtunity to get big fish first and foremost, but will definitely "settle" for numbers if that's a more realistic option. Is Montauk ridiculously crowded durint the fall run?

You might want to look into some guides for some of the areas you have in mind. They will have the access permits, knowledge and know how to put you in the right place. One session with a guide might help you out for the remainder of time you spend in the area.

Once you have your spot and dates picked out, give a shout out and you may have some members willing to meet up with you also!

George

View PostFor scheduling purposes it looks like anytime in August or the last two weeks of september through the first couple of weeks of october will work the best. I'm looking for the best oppurtunity to get big fish first and foremost, but will definitely "settle" for numbers if that's a more realistic option. Is Montauk ridiculously crowded durint the fall run?

Montauk....in October? Nah, youll run into 1-2 other fishermen, tops.... wink.gif

If you should happen to pick the Jersey shore.Try shore catch Guide service they have an excellant surf guide name Shell E Caris.If the fish are there he will put you on them.If interested E-mail me Im not sure if im allowed to put phone numbers of other businesses on our site here.We have lots of good striper fishing here in Jersey.

I've been looking into the surf guides, just am not sure with all of the other expenses that i'll be able to swing that for this trip. When I decide where I'm even going for sure I'm hoping that i can find a few SOL guys who wouldn't mind showing me a few things; if not then I'll just try to figure it all out on what I know and what i see while there. There's no better way to learn anyway, and ti's pretty satisfying to go to a toally new area and get into fish on your own.

At his point I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Long Island and Montauk, on one hand to get into fish and also just to see the chaos that I've read so much about.