Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperfly

704 line lie and roller issues

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

OK, I need the collective wisdom of the dedicated 704 users. I have two issues that I've noticed since I started using this reel and I'm hoping you guys can help me sort them out. I've done a search but they're mostly "never had a problem" type responses so bear with me.

My set up is a 704 greenie, manual bail, 30 lb fireline.

1, The fireline pyramids on retrieve. I checked to see if I had stacked thrust washers but I just have one white thrust washer that seems pretty thick. Does anybody have a good source/suggestion for a thrust washer that is slightly thinner than stock, or another easy solution?

2, My line roller won't roll no matter what I do. I'm sure that's leading to some twist which won't help the wind knot situation. Any tried and true suggestions?

Thanks and sorry if it's a repeat!

View PostOK, I need the collective wisdom of the dedicated 704 users. I have two issues that I've noticed since I started using this reel and I'm hoping you guys can help me sort them out. I've done a search but they're mostly "never had a problem" type responses so bear with me.

My set up is a 704 greenie, manual bail, 30 lb fireline.

1, The fireline pyramids on retrieve. I checked to see if I had stacked thrust washers but I just have one white thrust washer that seems pretty thick. Does anybody have a good source/suggestion for a thrust washer that is slightly thinner than stock, or another easy solution?

Your thrust washer should be a little thicker than your teflon drag washer but not much, It sounds to me like your bail arm may be bent a little, (line loads to the bottom = arm bent forward, or down, line loads to the top,= arm bent back or up) To check this just reel till your spool is at it's highest point, the bottom of your line roller should be even with the bottom ledge of the spool (not the very bottom of the spool but the bottom of where the line sits in the spool)

2, My line roller won't roll no matter what I do. I'm sure that's leading to some twist which won't help the wind knot situation. Any tried and true suggestions?

Thanks and sorry if it's a repeat!

You may have a after market PUM kit on your reel, many of them fall short on there roller placement area and that allows the roller get pinched between the bail-arm and roller mount, in that case all you can do with it is back off the nut till the roller turns free but not enough so the line gets snaged behind it. The early 704 greenies came with carbaloid roller (gray in color) They tend to get oxidation build up between the roller and mount and that would freeze them to the roller shaft, that could be what's wrong if your roller don't turn even it the roller mount is off the bail-arm, if that's your problem you must try and get the roller off the mount to clean the mount.

This is all IMHO, with out seeing, hart to tell.

The bail arm was bent pretty badly when I first got it. I tried to bend it back best I could but I guess I need to try some more. That is a much simpler solution than anything else I guess. As for the roller, I tried to back off the nut some but it still binds a bit, I wonder if I didn't tweak the bail arm up by the roller some in the bending process. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep at it!

Dude, pickup the shipping and I'll send you a used but great shape bail-arm. should be no more than two bucks and pp would work best. Just so you have an idea how your roller should line up with your spool at it's highest point (this is a 710 but should be this way with all reels.This is a kit I made for my 710, I had to bend the bail arm back a little to get the line to load right as seen in the picture.

P1010005.jpg