Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelman

State of the Bay??

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

First things first, the ignorance in the sunday paper and its so called "fishing" reporst is amazing. Secondly anyone blaming the pogy boats this year for the lack or percieved lack of pogies would be misteken, they worked very few days this year and are done in the bay. The Bunker do not leave the bay on the moon in june nothing is further from the truth and whoever came up with that notion should put there head in the sand, ridiculas. Is the bay dead? well yes it is compared to the last several years however I can attest to seeing enough bunker this past friday night from 12 am till 3 am that you could walk on it from the milk can to the hurricane barrier and not get your feet wet ! these are pogies that have not been touched in any way by the boats ! so whats the problem? the problem is not enough fish to push them and keep them tightly schooled, the bay is a very large place and these baitfish are free un harrased by many fish to just lay near the botom move as they wish and become extrememly scattered about. The few bluefish that are around seem to heard them up pretty good in the dead of night and thats the best time to get them, so whats not there in the morning isnt nessasarliy the truth as to whats there at night, further more you have the warren river a place that also holds its share of bait ! not every bunker goes to providence. Overall however it is not nearly as good as it has been in years past. Fishing has suffered along with that.

The bite for me anyway has become strickly nightime and something I havent had to do now in 5 years but it has paid off, just saturday night past I was chunking fresh bunker and could not control two rods, it was to fast a furious for a couple hours, I see no one else doing that no one always the same, the heards of boats come running up river at the crack of dawn looking for bait and there 4 hours to late or if there is bait they drive them right back down as fast as they came up with poor judgement to be the first one in with a snag hook...thats another story...anyway the size of the fish is lacking but numbers wise its not that bad if one just adapts to what the situation is calling for, everything I sold this past week since comm opened has come from the bay so there are bass there, its just alot more work to get them and alot of trial and era, cant always be as easy as toss a bunker to a rock and instant 40lb bass, a few years ago made alot of people look like fisherman who werent, people buying boats just to cash in and now cant find fish to save themselves and are comp-letely lost in space, now in 2010 you have to acually "fish" to get something. so is the bay dead? not really ! is the bait gone....Nope ! do I wish we had alot more blues to keep them moving and tight, you bet...and tom meade made a huge foolish statement by saying what he did..

several things happened this year, the worst squid run i recent memory and thats the first thing that pulls the bass in and holds then until the bunker begin to move in so alot of fish keeped on going or stayed outside, the refs are red hot right now, next the bunker arrived but it was a bit to late, timing and nature is everything and the two didnt meet in the middle this year, so we are left with what fish did come in, not like years past but still there are fish so it is what it is, put more time in, think alot and try different things until you hit on something, its not an easy year by any means.

Good luck!

No... there are NO pogies in the warren river.. they have all moved to providence. none... just a lot of people blindly throwing snag hooks and snapping them off and leaving hundreds of yards of braid just dangling in the raging currents for wrap up in propshafts. no bait and no fish . carry on

Nice post clapping.gif

All the fish I have seen caught over the past few weeks have a lot of sea lice on them so the fish must still be coming in wink.gif

clapping.gif

Good post eelman........ I asked the very question about fish in the Bay right now........ just a few threads away........ Chunkin was the only thing i DIDN'T try these last trips......... Gonna head out to Sakonnet Pt next trip and i'll bring the same menu, but i should grab a couple of Pogies this time around....... I only fish the night tides which is why i was so bummed this weekend.......... on paper everything looked great......... but as they say, the fish don't read the paper !!!

Listed to the man. We have fished together for years and he know of what he speaks.

As for Tom Meade, as I said in another thread, after all the years of him writing a column you think he would know better. He came across as an imbecile.

3 years ago we were snagging pogies in Sept. 2 years ago they were in back of Apex in Pawtucket dying of lack of O2 in August. They have NEVER left on the Full Moon in June. Mr. Meade must think we are a bunch of morons to feed us that crap.

View Postsnap wire or YO YO bunker in the right spot. bass dont bite in the day time after 0615 am... headscratch.gif

great post Bill...

Words of wisdom.

we are all better anglers now.

Bill, you are spot on. w/o the first draw of squid, the main push of fish didn't materialize.... nothing to do with ArkBait this year

Me thinks the first push of fish went by and up the Canal and around the Cape this spring, rather than being pulled into the Bay by the squid.

Let's hope the slug of big fish off Jersey is kind and camps out down here rather than going north.

I wouldn't be on it though- I think they have begun to avoid the warm water we have been seeing down here the past few seasons. frown.gif

W-so true about the warm water.i've also been hearing about lot's of off shore striper being caught,maybe the water temps have something to do with that as well.the bad thing about that is the bass become prey out there.