Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishHawk II

Power Pro tangles

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

View PostOk,here is a newbie ?. I seem to be getting tangles with the Power Pro braid on my spinning reel what usually causes this? Too, much braid on the spool?

FishHawk

Yeah..if you have the line spooled up the the lip, you'll probably get some wind knots. PP can be a little springy at 1st too.

Just make some casts and run the line back through your hand to make sure it's spooling on tight.

I hate wind knots in braid...it's pretty impossible to undo if you get a real knot, lol.

FishHawk, you are causing that problem.

It is not a "Power Pro" problem.

Are you throwing light lures?

Braid needs to be kept tight. Some 'lures' are too light to keep the line tight on the spool, when you retrieve.

If you get a loose loop of line on the spool, don't try and cast it off, you will create more of a problem.

Loosen your drag and pull the line off the spool until you get to the loop. Then hold tension on the line while you rewind it tight.

could be a few reasons.

what reel are you using?some reels are not braid friendly.

too much line.

too loose line.

too heavy lb test.

too light lb test.

guide set up wrong on rod.

operator error.

when everything is right you should get very few tangles,

Wind knots are a result of slack in the line that is not removed before closing the bail or putting the line on the roller(for bail less reels). If you leave the slack and start reeling over it,that's a wind knot. A good habit to get into is at the end of your cast you need to be raising your rod tip as you are picking up the line. This will help in removing the slack assuming you are closing the bail or picking up the line as you lure or weight is hitting the water.

View Postcould be a few reasons.

too much line.

too loose line.

too heavy lb test.

too light lb test.

operator error.

Too much line?... I leave it 1/8 back on a 704 reel and no problems...12 foot rod and your stylingbiggrin.gif

As mentioned, there are several possible causes.

Assuming your spool isn't over-filled and/or your line isn't laid too loose, the culprit could be line twist.

Line twist can be caused by:

1. A lure that rotates on retrieve. If your terminal set-up doesn't include a functional (and quality) swivel, then this could be a problem.

2. A sticky or low-quality line roller. If the line is "gliding" over the roller instead of turning it, then your reel is creating a partial twist in the line on every revolution. These partial twists aggregate and can make braid a mess.

Tip: If your line is indeed twisted, one of the best ways I know to get it out is to remove the leader and let the line out while standing on a bridge. Pinch the line tightly on the retrieve. Just make sure and do this when the wind and tide are moving away from you...and when boat traffic isn't an issue. wink.gif

one of the best ideas I've ever heard here, will try soon

thanks

DBS

View Post...Tip: If your line is indeed twisted, one of the best ways I know to get it out is to remove the leader and let the line out while standing on a bridge. Pinch the line tightly on the retrieve. Just make sure and do this when the wind and tide are moving away from you...and when boat traffic isn't an issue. wink.gif

Hang in there. I'm new to using braid, and I'm spooled-up with 20# PP. At first, I had a few knots but the experience got better as 1. the line got broken-in; 2. the spool became less full (from cutting off knots); the fisherman gained more experience with it; 4. all of the above. While you can't get a post here as to why you are having problems, they are all things to consider.

The silver lining? I agree with Mokes (above): "I hate wind knots in braid...it's pretty impossible to undo if you get a real knot, lol." But, if you have the fingernails and patience to attempt to undo a knot, it's becomes easier than with mono, when you reach a point that feels like you are making progress. The braid will not re-twist the loops you've pulled, like mono can make you feel that knot became worst then when you started. It will get better.

View Post... But, if you have the fingernails and patience to attempt to undo a knot, it's becomes easier than with mono...

Nothing teaches you patience like untangling braid.

And of course, the dollar sign in your head usually leaves your nippers at bay...

View PostNothing teaches you patience like untangling braid.

And of course, the dollar sign in your head usually leaves your nippers at bay...

I do look at the line and the lip of the spool. However, with my luck though, I see a challege that won't take away from "catching" time and it gives my arms a break from casting.smile.gifJust for fun: If I were bait fishing cwm33.gif I wouldn't need a break.

Another thing to consider is what reel are you using, some are made to handle braid and some not so much. A reel with a good cross wrap will handle braid better than one that doesn't cross wrap the line. On bailed reels, closing the bail manually helps keep the line tighter. Don't over fill the spool and heavier braid is easier to use than the lighter stuff meaning 50 # is easier than 30 #.

Knots in braid can happen for alot of reasons, and if you new to the world

of braid then it what we call

"User error" ... i like to call it, "beginners training" biggrin.gif it doesnt sound as bad.

anyway first off you must be willing to retrain yourself and don't get upset

if line snaps for reasons unknown...trust me "There is always a reason" why

things happen.

You will also be told to change to a better braid, IMO i say stick to PP and

get the learning curve out of the way, and then change to a better braid,

and yes better braid (8 weave) is alot more user friendly then PP.

But if you are like me and have a crap load of new PP, well then you make

due till its all gone..oh Jerry Brown Braid is a great braid if you rather go that route.

Here is a link that should help you with most of your questions about tangles...and it has alot of

pretty pictures (JK)cwm27.gif

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=671111

I know some people hate it, when they say this to others...but doing a search

on the forum will give you

loads of great infor from some of the oldtimers...

I spend alot of nites just going thru the old threads and reading up on stuff,

you won't believe some of the well thought out threads, we have here

in this forum...searching for some is becoming a lost art, again i said for some not all

beers.gif

View Postcould be a few reasons.

too much line.

too loose line.

too heavy lb test.

too light lb test.

operator error.

that was my issue this weekend, Guide wasn't set-up wrong per say, just the tip has loosened up a bit. Probably happened when my bike fell from the wind, thought i had caught it in time and braced the bikes fall, guess not. Had it re-glued and not one issue.