Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

The perpetual liberal guilt trip

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

What happens when you cross Woody Allen with Grace Pocorn and Che Guevara? The modern liberal. Read this Tom Freidman colunm, what a pitiful whining, driveling, simp.

Maybe if people like Tom could round up some more "men" like him and go down to the gulf and help clean up, In some sort of communal transportation of course, maybe then he would carry some credibility.

Read this, and realize, these are the type people leading your country right now:

NYT June 11,

This Time Is Different

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

My friend, Mark Mykleby, who works in the Pentagon, shared with me this personal letter to the editor he got published last week in his hometown paper, The Beaufort Gazette in South Carolina. It is the best reaction I've seen to the BP oil spill - and also the best advice to President Obama on exactly whom to kick you know where.

"I'd like to join in on the blame game that has come to define our national approach to the ongoing environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. This isn't BP's or Transocean's fault. It's not the government's fault. It's my fault. I'm the one to blame and I'm sorry. It's my fault because I haven't digested the world's in-your-face hints that maybe I ought to think about the future and change the unsustainable way I live my life. If the geopolitical, economic, and technological shifts of the 1990s didn't do it; if the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 didn't do it; if the current economic crisis didn't do it; perhaps this oil spill will be the catalyst for me, as a citizen, to wean myself off of my petroleum-based lifestyle. 'Citizen' is the key word. It's what we do as individuals that count. For those on the left, government regulation will not solve this problem. Government's role should be to create an environment of opportunity that taps into the innovation and entrepreneurialism that define us as Americans. For those on the right, if you want less government and taxes, then decide what you'll give up and what you'll contribute. Here's the bottom line: If we want to end our oil addiction, we, as citizens, need to pony up: bike to work, plant a garden, do something. So again, the oil spill is my fault. I'm sorry. I haven't done my part. Now I have to convince my wife to give up her S.U.V. Mark Mykleby."

I think Mykleby's letter gets at something very important: We cannot fix what ails America unless we look honestly at our own roles in creating our own problems. We - both parties - created an awful set of incentives that encouraged our best students to go to Wall Street to create crazy financial instruments instead of to Silicon Valley to create new products that improve people's lives. We - both parties - created massive tax incentives and cheap money to make home mortgages available to people who really didn't have the means to sustain them. And we - both parties - sent BP out in the gulf to get us as much oil as possible at the cheapest price. (Of course, we expected them to take care, but when you're drilling for oil beneath 5,000 feet of water, stuff happens.)

As Pogo would say, we have met the enemy and he is us.

But that means we're also the solution - if we're serious. Look, we managed to survive 9/11 without letting it destroy our open society or rule of law. We managed to survive the Wall Street crash without letting it destroy our economy. Hopefully, we will survive the BP oil spill without it destroying our coastal ecosystems. But we dare not press our luck.

We have to use this window of opportunity to insulate ourselves as much as possible against all the bad things we cannot control and get serious about fixing the problems that we can control. We need to make our whole country more sustainable. So let's pass an energy-climate bill that really reduces our dependence on Middle East oil. Let's pass a financial regulatory reform bill that really reduces the odds of another banking crisis. Let's get our fiscal house in order, as the economy recovers. And let's pass an immigration bill that will enable us to attract the world's top talent and remain the world's leader in innovation.

We need all the cushions we can get right now, because we are living in a world of cascading and intertwined threats that have the potential to turn our country upside down at any moment. We do not know when the next Times Square bomber might get lucky. We don't know how long the U.S. and Israel will tolerate Iran's nuclear program. We don't know if Pakistan will hold together and what might happen to its nukes. We don't know when North Korea will go nuts. We don't know if the European Union can keep financing the debts of Greece, Hungary and Spain - and what financial contagion might be set off if it can't.

"It is not your imagination," says corporate strategy consultant Peter Schwartz - there is a lot more scary stuff hanging over the world today. Since the end of the cold war and the rise of the Internet, we've lost the walls and the superpowers that together kept the world's problems more contained. Today, smaller and smaller units can wreak larger and larger havoc - and whatever havoc is wreaked now gets spread faster and farther than ever before.

That is why we have to solve the big problems in our control, not postpone them or pretend that more lobby-driven, lowest-common-denominator solutions are still satisfactory. A crisis is a terrible thing to waste, but a reprieve and a breathing spell - which is what we're having right now - is a really terrible thing to waste. We don't want to look back on this moment and say: How could we have gone back to business as usual and petty political gridlocks with all those black swans circling around us? Then we will really kick ourselves.

WAAAHHHHH, save me congress! Help me Nancy Pelosi, help me Barney waaaaahhhh! Baaarrracccck, Waaahhhhhh.

View PostWhat happens when you cross Woody Allen with Grace Pocorn and Che Guevara? The modern liberal. Read this Tom Freidman colunm, what a pitiful whining, driveling, simp.

Maybe if people like Tom could round up some more "men" like him and go down to the gulf and help clean up, In some sort of communal transportation of course, maybe then he would carry some credibility.

Read this, and realize, these are the type people leading your country right now:

NYT June 11,

WAAAHHHHH, save me congress! Help me Nancy Pelosi, help me Barney waaaaahhhh! Baaarrracccck, Waaahhhhhh.

"That is why we have to solve the big problems in our control, not postpone them or pretend that more lobby-driven, lowest-common-denominator solutions are still satisfactory"

We reach the height of disingenuity when a prominent liberal like Friedman complains of the "lowest-common-denominator."

Mediocrity is the stuff of liberalism.

View Post"That is why we have to solve the big problems in our control, not postpone them or pretend that more lobby-driven, lowest-common-denominator solutions are still satisfactory"

We reach the height of disingenuity when a prominent liberal like Friedman complains of the "lowest-common-denominator."

Notice, his "friend" works in the "Pentagon", so he is "manly". Do you really think anybody like Friedman really knows anybody in the Pentagon unless the guy is like liaison for "don't ask, don't tell?"

The guy sounds like he works in the Dept. of Social Services.

Typical liberal "blame America first" guilt trip. Notice, he comes close to implying we deserved 911?

Rabinowitz of the WSJ wrote a wonderful editorial entitled "The Alien in the White House" which basically says that Obama and company (like most liberals) holds Amerika and the West guilty of most of the world's ills. That's why the apology tour, the bowing to (non-white) leaders, the quest for mediocrity and bringing Amerika down to other nation's levels.

Good read and apiece with the Friedman column in explaining how the left is full of self loathing and guilt. Pathetic.

View PostNotice, his "friend" works in the "Pentagon", so he is "manly". Do you really think anybody like Friedman really knows anybody in the Pentagon unless the guy is like liaison for "don't ask, don't tell?"

The guy sounds like he works in the Dept. of Social Services.

Typical liberal "blame America first" guilt trip. Notice, he comes close to implying we deserved 911?

Rabinowitz of the WSJ wrote a wonderful editorial entitled "The Alien in the White House" which basically says that Obama and company (like most liberals) holds Amerika and the West guilty of most of the world's ills. That's why the apology tour, the bowing to (non-white) leaders, the quest for mediocrity and bringing Amerika down to other nation's levels.

Good read and apiece with the Friedman column in explaining how the left is full of self loathing and guilt. Pathetic.

I haven't read Rabinowitz for many years; I'll read The Alien in the White House.

did anyone read the article?

Thanks little, I am not sure why you are trashing the author, it appears he is supporting what you have been preaching all along, and that is self responsibility.

Unless we are willing to make the changes and sacrifices that keep up dependant on fossil fuels, them we will remain to the mercy of big government and big business.

View Post

Geez kooky.gif

When you say Librul what do you mean headscratch.gif

Friedman is NOT librul cwm15.gif

He is VERY pro-corporate... What is his position on unions

And what does *Mediocrity is the stuff of liberalism* even mean?

It seems like a broad brush smear that emotes much but says nothing headscratch.gif

Here's some enlightening words from Thomas himself

On the last day of November 2003 -- eight months after the

invasion -- Friedman gushed that
"this war is the most

important liberal, revolutionary U.S. democracy-building

project since the Marshall Plan." He lauded the Iraq war as

"one of the noblest things this country has ever attempted abroad."

"The hidden hand of the market will never work without a

hidden fist," Friedman wrote approvingly in one of his

explaining-the-world bestsellers.
"McDonald's cannot flourish

without McDonnell Douglas, the designer of the U.S. Air Force

F-15. And the hidden fist that keeps the world safe for Silicon

Valley's technologies to flourish is called the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps."

Hardly what common sense folk would consider *Librul* shakehead.gif

View Postdid anyone read the article?

Thanks little, I am not sure why you are trashing the author, it appears he is supporting what you have been preaching all along, and that is self responsibility.

Unless we are willing to make the changes and sacrifices that keep up dependant on fossil fuels, them we will remain to the mercy of big government and big business.

Yes, I read the article and the guilt is written all over it. Did you read it? And BTW, he's not calling for INDIVIDUAL responsibility, he is saying we're all guilty because, you know, we drive cars and so we kill and torture all around the world and we're getting what we deserve....please.

I am not willing to make changes and sacrifices via your boy Obama and huge government telling me to solar baby, solar. Wow, just wow.kooky.gifkooky.gif

View Post

I am not willing to make changes and sacrifices via your boy Obama and huge government telling me to solar baby, solar. Wow, just wow.kooky.gifkooky.gif

Too bad more people didn't feel that way about big Gov't forcing all of us

to *make changes and sacrifices* BEFORE attacking Iraq cwm40.gif

A war which has cost this nation far too much for far too little.

View PostYes, I read the article and the guilt is written all over it. Did you read it? And BTW, he's not calling for INDIVIDUAL responsibility, he is saying we're all guilty because, you know, we drive cars and so we kill and torture all around the world and we're getting what we deserve....please.

It's ok. You Obstuctionist can't delay progress forever. You all use to laugh at the Prius Hybrids But now almost every Car maker is selling or about to sell Hybrids.

View PostYes, I read the article and the guilt is written all over it. Did you read it? And BTW, he's not calling for INDIVIDUAL responsibility, he is saying we're all guilty because, you know, we drive cars and so we kill and torture all around the world and we're getting what we deserve....please.

I did read the article, which again makes me wonder of you did. No where does he comment or referencing that we are killing and torturing around the world, but yet you think he did say so kooky.gifkooky.gif

And yes, he certainly does support the posted Myckleby letter that most certainly and expressly says that what we do as individuals that counts.

He is using "my fault" in the context of we collectively as individuals put our heads in the sand when it comes to "in our face" warnings.

I thought this taking personal responsiblity for the way we live our livesand leading by example is the type of ideology the right support.

I do, and if a lefty said it, so be it. I'm not about killing the message because of the messenger.

I have no responsibility whatsoever for a blowed up oil well. Neither do you, neither does he. But somebody or something is eating this guy's psyche for lunch.

I can't verify what the first guys original intent was but in a way he is correct. We can not sit back and expect the government to fix our problems. This government is of the people for the people and by the people we need to solve the problems not some faceless person in the government. we have to do it at the lowest common denominator is it cant be done on the individual level then try city/town level and so on some things like national defense we need a federal government for. along with negotiations between other countries. but we do not need GOVERNMENT for everything. and we are to blame for the current oil issues. We allowed it to happen. We had the technology 60 years ago to make a cleaner more efficient car but "WE" didn't want it it didn't fit our lifestyles. We did not feel that investing in technologies are worth it.

View PostI can't verify what the first guys original intent was but in a way he is correct. We can not sit back and expect the government to fix our problems. This government is of the people for the people and by the people we need to solve the problems not some faceless person in the government. we have to do it at the lowest common denominator is it cant be done on the individual level then try city/town level and so on some things like national defense we need a federal government for. along with negotiations between other countries. but we do not need GOVERNMENT for everything. and we are to blame for the current oil issues. We allowed it to happen. We had the technology 60 years ago to make a cleaner more efficient car but "WE" didn't want it it didn't fit our lifestyles. We did not feel that investing in technologies are worth it.

We? "I" don't really have a big issue with my vehicles. I like them.

Please, replace my vehicle with a cleaner more efficient one, I would be happy to buy it, but from what I see, mine is as clean and efficient as they come.

I guess its more proof I am on the lunatic fringe, I still think oil is a pretty damn good thing.

View PostWe? "I" don't really have a big issue with my vehicles. I like them.

Please, replace my vehicle with a cleaner more efficient one, I would be happy to buy it, but from what I see, mine is as clean and efficient as they come.

I guess its more proof I am on the lunatic fringe, I still think oil is a pretty damn good thing.

i tend to agree with you and i do not see anything better. my point is still if you think there is a problem then do something about it dont whine and wait for dad and mom government to fix it. If there was better alternatives to oil gas and coal then someone would be making billions on it there is not and prbably will not be one.

you know they make a power plant that runs on trash it is efficianct and clean now but how many do you see around? do you know why? its the not in my back yard crowd. the country has a trash problem we make to much of it we put it in landfills and let it sit there any meathane bleedoff is just burnt on the spot in most cases just in the open air instead of being utilized to power a generator that these citys could use for cheap renewable power.