Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saxman146

Next Step up from Daiwa Xsha-40

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I went and fished in the Carolinas over the past week and caught a lot of Atlantic sharpnose sharks about 3 1/2 ft long each. It was great and this reel handled them beautifully. I was very happy. However, I had three fish that broke me off while I was fishing with mullet. I would love to find a reel that throws as far as this reel but can handle bigger line and more of it. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking about the Saltist or Saltiga. Thanks!

Try the Shimano Trinidad 30 with 40lb. mono. If that's too pricey, the Torium 30 is a good alternative. Braking power on these can stop some pretty big fish.

The Shimano Trinidad 40 and 50 are what I am looking into because of the specs on amounts of line they hold. However, it will be useless unless I can cast them as well. Anyone know about the castability and what I can expect from these reels?

Explain more about the break offs. Your issue could be related to line/leader.

I've caught a lot of black tips, and bigger sharks on similar gear, you shouldn't be having so much trouble.

Want a tip? When they first hit, don't lock down the drag. Let them run. A BT isn't going to spool a 40 unless your in heavy current. If you lock them up right away, you will most likely loose the fish due to jumping, wrapping, or rubbing.

The setup I use for this is an Avet LX, it's a little bigger than the 40, with 500 yards of 65lb braid with a short braid topshot of 250lb. If you static mag the Avet, it's castable.

I tried braid 50lb while I fished last time. It just continuously broke off on me. I tied it straight onto an 80lb steel leader. It casted really far but I have always used mono and I am used to the line stretch that comes with it. Needless to say I wasn't the best at knowing this lines breaking point. I switched back to 40lb mono and started landing fish again.

View PostI tried braid 50lb while I fished last time. It just continuously broke off on me. I tied it straight onto an 80lb steel leader. It casted really far but I have always used mono and I am used to the line stretch that comes with it. Needless to say I wasn't the best at knowing this lines breaking point. I switched back to 40lb mono and started landing fish again.

Ok after you decide what reel I would say a Trini or saltiga spool it with 400yds of 60lb hollow then use a 50' 50 or 60lb mono wind on to a 80lb steel leader if done properly you should not break off. Something is wrong probably with your knot.

View PostI tried braid 50lb while I fished last time. It just continuously broke off on me. I tied it straight onto an 80lb steel leader. It casted really far but I have always used mono and I am used to the line stretch that comes with it. Needless to say I wasn't the best at knowing this lines breaking point. I switched back to 40lb mono and started landing fish again.

Unless you are using a very long 6'+ steel leader, then we have most likely found your problem.

You NEED a top shot/shock leader, 40lb mono isn't enough, nor is 50lb braid. Tie that 40lb mono to a length of 100lb that is 10' or so.

They'll spin/tail whip though 40lb mono really quickly.

Ok. I does anyone have a reference page to tieing line into other line? My knots may not be strong enough for these setups. I am weary about this since all I really fish is freshwater. Thanks!

If line capacity and castability are what you're looking for check out the Newell 500 series of reels. They hold a lot of line and lightweight, easy to cast. I use 60# mono in my P546 but it can hold a good amount of 80# in which most GT fisherman use on it here. The most common sizes used here are the 546 and 550 however, I see some 540's here and there too.