Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tlacey21walden

Wood and Brass Reel ?

18 posts in this topic

Bought some stuff at a yard sale last week, I am looking for any info anyone can give me on it, Everyone I have asked has told me something different, the guy I bought it from told me it was a old fly reel next told me it it wasn't and I just dont know I cant find any markings on it any were so I am just cwm31.gif

Oh the pic if of the top, and is the same as mine but mine the wood is daker and the brass do-sent shine so much

Any ider how old it is anyonecwm40.gif

I have always heard of them referred to as "Codfish" reels, I have a maple one that was my great uncle's and a mahogany one like yours that i bought at a garage sale for $10. Not sure how old they are.

A sidewinder is what it is. They were commonly used on party boats. When I was a kid in the late 60s, I remember seeing an old timer expertly using one on a party boat and he just cleaned up.

I've seen those types of reels before, same size and style. But they weren't made from wood, all metal. Definitely a good display model for the fishing shelf.

Here's a pic I posted on SOL many months ago. These are circa 1890s-1920s flyfishing reels, brass with wood handles. Two on the left are made by Meisselbach. The one on the right is a Sunnybrook made by Union Hardware. So genuine "flyfishing reels" were available back then. I have no idea what your reels was used for or how old it is, so I'll yield to what others have suggested.

Check out the following website that focuses on antique fishing equipment. You might find a picture of your reel. You might have to thumb thru a lot of pics, but I bet its in there somewhere.

I can't imagine that a reel of that configuration would be easy to use or what the benefits would be over a more conventional design. Of course, as old as that reel looks, the concept of a "fishing reel" may have still been in it's infancy. There may not have been many alternatives to choose from.

http://66.51.163.9/fishing/collectio...ch/startRow/1/

attachment.php?attachmentid=216510&d=123

View PostI've seen those types of reels before, same size and style. But they weren't made from wood, all metal. Definitely a good display model for the fishing shelf.

Here's a pic I posted on SOL many months ago. These are circa 1890s-1920s flyfishing reels, brass with wood handles. Two on the left are made by Meisselbach. The one on the right is a Sunnybrook made by Union Hardware. So genuine "flyfishing reels" were available back then. I have no idea what your reels was used for or how old it is, so I'll yield to what others have suggested.

Check out the following website that focuses on antique fishing equipment. You might find a picture of your reel. You might have to thumb thru a lot of pics, but I bet its in there somewhere.

I can't imagine that a reel of that configuration would be easy to use or what the benefits would be over a more conventional design. Of course, as old as that reel looks, the concept of a "fishing reel" may have still been in it's infancy. There may not have been many alternatives to choose from.

http://66.51.163.9/fishing/collectio...ch/startRow/1/

attachment.php?attachmentid=216510&d=123

Ask explained above, people still use them, for tog and cod fishing... headscratch.gif