Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brian62

New reel abu garcia 10000 ct- long story and ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

Was doing some surf fishing and my abu 7000c3 was having some issues after I caught about an 80lb sting ray with it. The anti reverse and bait clicker stopped working.

So, being desperate, I shopped all the local shops for a comparable level wind.

Everything was large spincasting, I already have a new Diawa regalplus 5500 baitrunner. I was talking to the shop guys and none had baitcasting level wind. Some level winds were trolling type etc.

I explain my concern was the drap on spinning with a big fish. Answer was "I have caught alot of big fish on spinning". So, assured I went back to beach.

I was using my Shimano tr 200g bait caster with 40lb braid and also the Diawa with 50lb mono. Hooked another large ray with Shimano and broke off in surf after 20 min. Left me with the Diawa, Hooked Up something... strong and it was going north, taking lots of line, tight'n drag up and keeps going, tryin to get it to turn, nope still going like as if it was hooked on a car bumper, tighten drag up, no no no- still spooling me.... not looking good, kinda draggin me down beach, tight drag as much as possible, no good still going down to spooled situation. Resort to manual drag on the spool, and well, finally 50 lb mono gives out.

Yes, it may just have been a huge something and no drag would have mattered. But, my confidence was shook since the 7000 and shimano drags worked on the other fish.

Back to the tackle shops and my question. No biatcasting reels to speak of, there was one similiar to 7000 but, since I have that wanted alittle bit more. There was a lone abu big game 10000 CT . Regular price 149.00 tag with sale tag of 109.00. Seemed to have the line capacity of about 200 yards 50lb mono. I went ahead and got it and was thinking about 200yards 50lb braid and finishing off with mono, to much to work on my brain at time so just went with that line selection added to cost.

Now trying to find some info on this, including a search here, and not much out there. How old is this style ? Was it in case for 10 years ? I find 10000i all over. I used it that a few casts, all with some backlash, due to night time fishing and forgot to attempt to set mechanical brake and not seeing the bait hit water.

I found a 10.00 dollar rebate for ABU so my cost is 99.00. Was I a sucker?

Anybody out there using it? I will be using it hopefully large catfish in Ohio river, and whenever I get back to the Surf.

Thanks for input.

I was fishing for small shark originally, with bluefish heads, but, that dang ray was the best fightin' fish I have had. I had also caught a 20lb stingray and a 20lb shark from the pier. The ray was 3x the fight of the shark.

Brian

I would say probably around 10 years old. I would think overkill for most catfish, though I know there are some monster catfish out there.

I would upgrade the drag. Check here first, then try Extreme Smoothies. Stock Abu drags are jerky, carbon drag washers will solve this problem.

If you still have your Abu 7000, the clicker is probably a spring issue or if you left it on, it may just be worn out. If it's an older reel, the anti-reverse dog may be disengaged. I would be happy to look at it for you and 100 percent positive I could fix it. No charge except for postage, and parts if they are needed.

Hi, am new here and just hope to get some answer from more experienced fishos.

Just gotten a Abu Garcia 10000 and wondering what is the best line option. Braided and poundage or braided with mono? These are aimed at boat fishing. Cheers and thanks in advance.

There's a very famous English angler called John Wilson, his favourite big fish adventure reel is a 10,000 Abu Garcia. He's used it for mahseer, nile perch, wels catfish, vundoo catfish and bronze whaler sharks to well over 200lb in Namibia. He fills it with 35lb Maxima mono.

View PostPlease don't get me wrong I own several Abu's & Love them but they are not Strong eough for Shark fishng.

Thanks for pointing out, not really into sharking though. Am practically going for serious bottom fishing for snappers, bass and goliath groupers and the like.

Just wondering whats the best poundage and lines. Mono or braided. Cheers

View PostThere's a very famous English angler called John Wilson, his favourite big fish adventure reel is a 10,000 Abu Garcia. He's used it for mahseer, nile perch, wels catfish, vundoo catfish and bronze whaler sharks to well over 200lb in Namibia. He fills it with 35lb Maxima mono.

Wow, 35lb mono against 200 pounder monster. Surely must have been quite an exciting time. With 35lb mono, guess I can reel in a minimum of 350 yards

View PostThanks for pointing out, not really into sharking though. Am practically going for serious bottom fishing for snappers, bass and goliath groupers and the like.

Just wondering whats the best poundage and lines. Mono or braided. Cheers

Depending on the reel's line capacity I'd say 40- 50lb Mono. fishing from the boat.

I know you'll get more line with braid but fishing from the boat I like using Mono. More abrasive.

If the Ambassadeur 10000 is made in Sweden (black side plates and says so on the sideplate) it is a mighty fine reel. It casts well for a large reel and has a superior drag compared to the abu 7000. The drag remains smoother for longer. We use them for large GT, in fact they are our 1st choice, and have been for over 30 years.

There is a two speed model too. You may not be able to lock down the drag and hold a large fish due to its frame being of brass manufacture like you would a solid one piece aluminium frame.