Martin28

Catfishing

71 posts in this topic

Ive never catfished before but i would like to start trying. so far i have a good rod and reel set up with 20# line and and treble hook with some liver stinkbait. sound ok? now all i need is a place to fish. i dont have a boat yet so im from shore. i live ny on oneida lake and oneida river isnt to far. Any good spots to fish?id really like to start catching some catfish thanks! -steve

Go to catfish1.com and buy the book Catfish pro tactics, by Kieth Sutton, or the book Catching Catfish, others such as Catfishing In The South, and the In-fisherman books are also good(the latter are geared more towards advanced techniques).

Several things, first, what species(blue,flathead, or channel) are you fishing for. I highly recommend getting started fishing small rivers for channel catfish.

Large catfish don't eat stink bait, or any other commercial crap, they like live and fresh cut bait. I reccomend using cut bait, if it is not available, hot dogs(chicken) or chicken liver will work.

The setup depends of the fishing situation and species, for channels a flippin' stick and 17# Big Game works fine, with a Abu Garcia 6500, a good starter setup for everything is a Abu 6500 and a Ugly Stick 30 class '7 rod. For fishing in heavy cover or fast current, a heavier setup is needed, such as a 7000 Abu or a Penn 320 GTI with an Ugly stick Tiger.

The usual fishing spots on rivers are, below dams, wood and brush piles, and deep holes, best are cover laden holes.

Fishing deep during the day is also an important thing too do, of course there are times when this is not true, but it often is.

The biggest part of catfishing if location, if you know location you have everything you need.

read this

please dont link to other sites, thank you

Give us a lil more info what type of Catfish you are fishing for. Pretty much what Pierfisherman just said. If its for Channels then liver will work. After a while it gets a pain in the rear to use. Also trebles are a pain to use with Channels you will often fine the trebles shutting the fish mouth close. Not easy to remove like in a Bass.

Catfish is the easiest species of fish to catch.

If you can't catch a catfish, please stick to video games and gold.

Shrimp, livers, and cut fish fished on the bottom should get you catfish.

View PostCatfish is the easiest species of fish to catch.

sunnies have them beat by far. and LMB arent too far behind.

View PostCatfish is the easiest species of fish to catch.

Oh, really, what's the biggest catfish you've caught? Also, what do you mean by species? Please cite me this information of catfish being a "species". Also, when did you catch a catfish over 10 pounds on those baits, that's very interesting.

View PostThat's the way to get the big one. icon14.gif

Yes, it will, but floating or fishing bream on the bottom will work much better. Fishing the right holes is the key, the bait is needed, but easy to obtain.

View PostOh, really, what's the biggest catfish you've caught? Also, what do you mean by species? Please cite me this information of catfish being a "species". Also, when did you catch a catfish over 10 pounds on those baits, that's very interesting.

Obviously bigger than any of you have ever caught!

http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/s...athead+catfish

Can you beat that?

to make a long story short, here are some things that do well, not sure what types of critters and baitfish you have up there, but where i live, my goto bait is Shad, fresh, whole or cut, then comes Sunfish, blue gill , war mouth etc. (otherwise known as perch here) occassionally crawdads (crayfish) , night crawlers , and in summer when possible, large grass hoppers and occassionally when i am on a lake, Blood bait (made from chicken blood)

they sell shrimp here, but it's not native to the waters i fish, seen people buy it and swear by shrimp, but have never seen them catch anything on 'em,

i would suggest stay away from anything frozen, or isn't natural to any water, chicken livers are fine and dandy, so is soap or the skin from the chicken at KFC, some folks, soak any type of bait with WD-40 and believe that's what catches fish, my honest opinion is , use fresh, don't "Juice" it up, and keep it natural.

where to go, depends on what you want to catch, Channel cats prefer slack current to a moderate current, Blue cats prefer current , Flatheads prefer any of the above, as for gear, depends on where the fish are, check local fishing reports, that would be a good start, as for gear, that depends on where you are fishing, and where do you need to hit in order to get to the fish.

hope this helps out

A guy asks a simple question and you have be to a jerk about it. Martin what kinda cats are in your area? That makes a big difference in the areas you shjould target and bait you should use. Channel are the smaller of the bunch and easier to catch if you have Blues or Flats in your area thats what I would target much larger.